Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Pictures
  • Mission: Organization
  • Taking over the Garage >
  • Taking over the Garage

• Taking over the Garage

Old 07-28-2012, 12:10 AM
    amandaplants

I did the same with our garage. I got one of them inferred heathers the amish make, and it keeps it warm. I stared out with baseboard heathing...my bill went over $300 in one month! The amish heater, I dont even notice a price change.

Old 07-28-2012, 06:45 AM

OK laughed out loud with this one. I love it - guilt. I can see you have lots of great fabric and supplies. Be sure to post the "finished" picture.
    Originally Posted by MistyMarie
    Fortunately, I live in the country, so I don't have to worry too much about anyone stealing my things. Here is an updated picture of where I am at right now with the garage. My daughter was "helping". This was taken after 9PM, so she was a wee bit tired of helping her momma.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]351567[/ATTACH]

As I was unpacking, I came across a tote that I had asked my son to write on so I would know it contained my quilting things. This is what I found. I had a pretty good laugh... considering he wrote "guilt" instead of "quilt" on the side of the container. (He is dyslexic.)

[ATTACH=CONFIG]351568[/ATTACH]
    Old 08-04-2012, 08:03 PM

When you start checking for heaters, check out Lowes if there is one near you. I have a shed for my quilting that is separate from the house. I bought two small heaters for my 14' X 24' space and they work great. Of course, the shed is insulated and it doesn't stay cold for as long in Oklahoma as it does in Illinois. I do strongly suggest you wall off your space and insulate. It will be warmer and also help keep the varmits (sp?) out!
    Old 08-04-2012, 09:16 PM

I'm Sienna's GG and I approve of the use of this space for quilting and whatnot.
    Old 08-06-2012, 07:32 PM

I realized as I dug further into my boxes that I would definitely need to expand my original space. It looks like I will be taking up much more of the garage. I also figure I will only need to heat the garage one or two days a week, as I will be working Monday - Thursday during the winter, so I won't be out there until the weekends. I will probably bring in my sewing to the dining room or bedroom during the really cold months. I have summers off, so I will be needing an air-conditioner more than a heater!

I did get side-tracked from organizing because my mom went into the hospital and had to have major surgery. She was in there for five days before transferring her to Denver for the surgery, so I spent quite a bit of time there instead of getting work done here. With the school year starting next week, I really have to get my rear in gear and get everything done this week.
    Old 08-09-2012, 05:09 PM

Congratulations on all your changes....especially your new home and dedicated sewing space. I agree, a wall would help so much, but take your time. This is a fun process. You're lucky to have your dad helping. Enjoy!
    Old 08-10-2012, 03:56 AM

Lucky you!!!! That's a nice space to have all to yourself. Looks like you've got a lot done so far. Keep it up and you'll be up and running in now time flat.

I would insulate and sheet rock where your sewing room will be. You might want to look at the "for sales" in the paper and see if you can't find a pellet stove for heating. We have one upstairs and one in the basement where I quilt. It keeps things nice and toasty. Just a thought, if you want to quilt out there in the cooler months.

Amy
    Old 08-10-2012, 09:52 AM

Wow. This looks like a great place to sew. So far it looks really great!
    Old 08-14-2012, 06:14 PM

Love that you're going to have a place of your own to quilt. I too am lucky enough to have a space to call my own. Figure that space and quilting might keep me sane!

We put insulation in the shop/building, then 1/4" plywood. Painted it and called it good. Hope you can figure a way to keep sewing year around.
    Old 10-03-2012, 01:52 PM

Hi Misty marie,
    I've been off the board for most of the summer but it was nice to see your post, today. I'm happy for you that you're making your new space your own!
    Best wishes,
    lots2do