How do you tell time?

Old 08-20-2012, 06:17 PM

I say twenty of whatever hour all the time. It's the region of the US I grew up in. I do say 20 after the hour. My kids and the kids I taught all learned twenty to the hour. Same thine and we taught the kids analog first and thenm digital and how to both add and subtract time from the clock. Not fun but it can be made to be fun.
Chris
Old 08-20-2012, 06:25 PM

Originally Posted by DogHouseMom
I wouldn't know what "twenty OF one" is either ... is that twenty minutes AFTER one, or twenty minutes TO one?

If I had to guess, I would guess that twenty of one is 1:20.

So what do you say when your calling time after the hour??
20 past 1 !

Some people don't know half past or a quarter of either. Just depends on how you grew up, I suppose
Old 08-21-2012, 11:40 AM

Originally Posted by auntpiggylpn
20 past 1 !

Some people don't know half past or a quarter of either. Just depends on how you grew up, I suppose
I agree as I use quarter past, 10 past the hour, etc. Could be a regional thing or maybe just what you learned from your parents but I do remember learning of and past the hour in school for telling time.
Old 08-21-2012, 11:56 AM

Originally Posted by DogHouseMom
I wouldn't know what "twenty OF one" is either ... is that twenty minutes AFTER one, or twenty minutes TO one?

If I had to guess, I would guess that twenty of one is 1:20.

So what do you say when your calling time after the hour??
This is EXACTLY what I was thinking. I do not think this is a matter of not being able to tell time. I think it is a matter of being unfamiliar with the terminology. I am 43 and have never heard anyone give the time of day in those terms.
Old 08-21-2012, 02:51 PM

I just check my phone.
Old 08-21-2012, 07:03 PM

I expected this to say something like a family member asking you what time was dinner, and you said 2 hours from now. I have to finish my quilt first. Or the shorter version, "30 min. after my quilt is finished!"
Old 08-24-2012, 01:55 AM

Me 3. This is the obvious explanation. I have heard "20 of", but rarely, and it is not something you can work out yourself first time you hear it. I wonder where it originated?

I use both. Digital is less ambiguous though. Did you know that in German 'Halb Sieben' is not half past seven but half to seven- ie 6.30?!

I prefer the 24 hour clock too. A.m. and p.m. are just another thing to mix up. So few people know which is 12 a.m. and which 12 p.m. that I use 'Noon' and 'midnight' to be sure, to be sure ;-)

Originally Posted by Peckish
This is EXACTLY what I was thinking. I do not think this is a matter of not being able to tell time. I think it is a matter of being unfamiliar with the terminology. I am 43 and have never heard anyone give the time of day in those terms.
Old 08-24-2012, 08:31 AM

I, too, prefer military time, or the 24 hour clock, but hardly anyone else uses it. I taught it to my 11 year old son, which delights him because he thinks it's like a secret language between he and I.