Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What do you do with your scraps when ... >

What do you do with your scraps when ...

What do you do with your scraps when ...

Old 09-18-2012, 12:42 PM

If there is 1/4 to 1/2 yard left over, I fold the smaller scraps inside its matching larger scrap & put them away
for future use. I will cut them later, when needed for another project.
Old 09-18-2012, 12:44 PM

I spent some time this summer cutting into 2.5, 4.5, 5.5 and 6.5 strips. So far I have made enough half square log cabins to make a lap quilt. I have pulled enough blues to make another lap quilt and have plans for at least 10 more. Cut into strips have made it easier to do this.
Old 09-18-2012, 03:43 PM

I don't cut mine at all. I have boxes (clear plastic shoe box size) for each color: blues, reds, yellows etc. When any of the boxes starts to get too full, its time to do a scrappy quilt, usually using the inventory from all the boxes.
Old 09-19-2012, 03:17 AM

I'm still searching for the best system for me, so everything is kinda stuffed in drawers.
Old 09-19-2012, 03:22 AM

If I think I like the fabric enough to want to use it again, I put it in a plastic bin until I need/want to use it. Then I cut it for whatever use I have for it. If I didn't really like it, I cut it up at the time I decide I really don't like it and use it to stuff pet cushions. If it is a large piece that I don't like I give it away instead of cutting it up.
Old 09-19-2012, 04:19 AM

This year I received a large amount of batik scraps from another quilter. I started using the scrap users system to cut them up. http://quiltville.com/scrapusersystem.shtml I still have a lot of uncut scraps both the inherited batiks and my own scraps. Compared to so many people on this board I'm a real newbie so I don't have huge amounts of scraps but I want to be prepared.
If you happen upon the October issue of Quilter's World, there is a beautiful scrap quilt in there that uses 1 1/2" strips. I'm dying to make it but there are a number of projects ahead of it. Anyway, if you make the size they show you would use 300 1 1/2 " strips. Maybe that would ease your "unease".
Old 09-19-2012, 04:28 AM

I just took a class with Bonnie Hunter.Wow,does she ever use scraps.She has several books out now.You can also go to her website.Quiltville and pick up a lot of tips.Use those scraps.She has all kinds of info.
Old 09-19-2012, 04:54 AM

Originally Posted by cheriami View Post
Funny you should mention this...I spent all day yesterday cutting scraps. I decided that I would never use them if they weren't cut, so I went with 2 1/2" strips if it was still WOF and a small enough print, 10" squares if possible, 5" squares, 2 1/2" squares and 2" squares. Not sure if I made the right choice but what once was a tub now fits in drawers and the pile of charm squares makes me feel positively giddy!
Many thanks for my morning laugh.
Old 09-19-2012, 05:12 AM

Any pieces of fabric smaller than a quarter yard/fat quarter I put in bins by color. I don't precut because I never know what I will make with them. I prefer to cut when I have a project in mind. Strips that are smaller on one end than the other went into shopping bags - one for darks, one for lights. (Right now I have noticed that there are a lot of white and blacks so I may be making a black and white quilt soon.) These are sewn onto foundation squares or strips (usually the to thin fabrics others give me or light weight muslin). Odd triangles I use as beginners and enders, then once in a while I square them up to the nearest 1/2 inch. When I have enough I will make a scrappy triangle quilt. Very small pieces are in bags -one light, one dark that are again sewn to foundation squares for a crazy patch look, then sewn together for scrap quilts. Any squares left over from quilts are sorted by size and put in a tub to eventually be used for 4 or 9 patches.
A friend of mine makes 9 patches as she finishes her projects, when she has a shoebox full of 9 patch blocks she makes a quilt for charity. They always turn out beautiful.

Last edited by kateyb; 09-19-2012 at 05:16 AM.
Old 09-19-2012, 05:26 AM

I'm with the don't cut crowd. I never know what size I need so I just sort by color and store in medium sized plastic boxes. I store theme prints in one bin. I also have a bin of fabric scraps that already has fusible on the back because I do a lot of machine applique and it is amazing what a very small piece of prefused fabric can be used for.