Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
  • Things you wish you started to learn at an earlier age? >
  • Things you wish you started to learn at an earlier age?

• Things you wish you started to learn at an earlier age?

Old 10-18-2012, 12:02 PM

I can crochet but can't knit. I tried several times but my fingers and the threads just don't get along too well.
    Old 10-18-2012, 01:03 PM

I wish I had paid more attention during piano lessons! My mother, my grandmother (and her sisters) thought there were many things a girl should learn. I learned to knit, crochet, embroider, paint, and sew at a very young age. I wish I knew how to tat. I've tried it a few times, but have decided that at this point in my life, I no longer have sense enough to learn. Thank heavens there are embroidery machine designs that look like tatted lace. Now I cheat and do it on the machine!
    Old 10-18-2012, 01:30 PM

I was taught to knit and crochet between 9 - 11 yrs, made my own clothes in highschool and dabbled in painting. Learned Stained Glass in my 20's, quilting in my 40-50's and now do a hodge-podge of it all when the mood strikes. What I really wish I'd learned early was how to handle money and be financially smart. We're not in bad shape but looking back, we could have put ourselves in a much better position. I'm fixing to turn 59 and my husband and I just completed Dave Ramsey's Financial Peace University. Such good information and so attainable once you get your mind in the right direction. Now I can look forward to enjoying all the things I've learned over the years and not have to wonder what might get put on hold so I can do something fun!
    Old 10-18-2012, 02:41 PM

I feel blessed that I was poor as a church mouse, raised by good parents. We didn't have much, but no one did around us so when we finally got a new couch I thought we were rich. Wore clothes from the welfare people when that was going on.Ha,ha. Had lots of good friends. Money was never in my mind or lack of it. I'm 83 and it still doesn't mean much to me. I either have some or I don't. But I have lots of good friends around me. I know where I'm going when I die, so I feel really blessed. Barny
    Old 10-18-2012, 04:58 PM

To play the piano and guitar................
    Old 10-18-2012, 05:58 PM

sewing and quilting on the machine, started by hand(can we say nightmare). I think if I had done it by machine I would have started sooner and been more efficient by now
    Old 10-18-2012, 08:08 PM

I wish I had really studied the piano. I kind of play, can kinda read music but never had the stick to it power to become a musician. I also wish my grandmother had taught me to tat. I am left handed and she didn't think she could teach me. She did relent and taught me to quilt, but I went 50 yrs. between quilting with her and beginning again. I have lead an adventurous life and wouldn't trade the memories for anything, but now and again I have wondered what it would have been like to be a housewife and stay at home mom, with no outside obligations.