Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Oh dear... noticing the many mistakes.... >
  • Oh dear... noticing the many mistakes....

• Oh dear... noticing the many mistakes....

Old 10-20-2012, 03:47 AM
    Swap Hosts

This is your first quilt and as you continue your journey, you will look on it and smile about how far you've come. And of course your girls will find it endearing! After all, their mama made it. Each quilt is a learning process and for most of us that process never ends.
    Old 10-20-2012, 04:34 AM

I really love my jt shape cut ruler. Bought 1 for my quilting buddy and she loves it too. But go for the bigger one. Mine is a 20" square I think
    Old 10-20-2012, 04:35 AM

My favorite is Starch and the June Taylor shape cut ruler.
    Old 10-20-2012, 04:39 AM

sorry I do have the 12" jt shape cut ruler
    Old 10-20-2012, 04:50 AM

All the ruler suggestions are good; I own most of those rulers. I do like my 12.5 square but I also use a rightangle steel carpenter's ruler to square up corners. For me, it works better than the T square. I am left-handed, so I like the Quilter's Ruler series; I seem to be able to see the lines better. But, that being said, find a series that you like and stick with those particular rulers. Congratulations on finishing your first quilt. You won't notice the errors when it is quilted. Don't let anyone rain on your parade. If they comment (without your showing them the errors) just write them off as quilt police. Happy quilting.
    Old 10-20-2012, 05:43 AM

I think you should be incredibly proud of yourself for "going for it" and making your first quilt in the first place! It does take time to develop skills in quilting. I started over 13 years ago and when I look back at the 1st quilt I did which was a huge flannel applique (what was I thinking), that is far from perfect-I just smile because of the memory of giving it to my sweet husband. Hang in there you will get better and better as time goes on. That's the fun of it! Best wishes!
    Old 10-20-2012, 05:45 AM

Originally Posted by Carolyn All Day
    You ladies are so wonderful and have made me feel a lot better! I managed to get my big pregnant belly on the floor and basted my quilt (with curved safety pins - next time when I'm not worried about possible fumes, I might give some of those sprays or glue a try!).

Tomorrow night I'll start sewing! Wish me luck!
    So, this quilt is for a new baby? Girl, wrap that baby in the blanket of love you made for her and that's all that matters!

You will do better next time because you will be mindful of what you learned from your first quilt. But there's nothing like a first--it will always be special to you--perfect or not.
    Old 10-20-2012, 06:00 AM

The only one of those that I would bother to get is the 12 1/2" square. It doesn't have to be Quilt in a Day either. I prefer Deb Tucker's rulers. I think the key to getting a quilter squared up is to learn to press well and OFTEN as you make the quilt, being sure to PRESS not IRON, so you don't pull your fabric out of shape; as someone said, square as you go, although you do have to be careful so you don't keep squaring and it ends up smaller than its supposed to be ; and when you are squaring the final piece, you need two sides that are long enough to let you be sure you are cutting an accurate squared corner. This is why I don't think those smaller rulers do as good of a job. The 12" square is a good tool for this purpose. Plus, you WILL get better the more you sew. The most important thing in the whole process is to HAVE FUN!
    Old 10-20-2012, 06:08 AM

Press first
    Old 10-20-2012, 06:20 AM

Hello and welcome! Im sure someone has already said this but...its a good idea to be sure your BLOCKS are square as you go along. Makes final sqaring a piece of cake then. Dont sweat the small stuff...its probably not as bad as you are thinking it is. most important thing to remember...HAVE FUN!! HAPPY QUILTING