Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Calling all Lee Childs fans >

Calling all Lee Childs fans

Calling all Lee Childs fans

Old 10-30-2012, 09:29 AM
Power Poster

Why can't the studio use an unknown actor? I'm sure there are lots of good actors that would make great stars if they were given the chance. We seem to be stuck with the same old 'movie stars' for all the good movies.
Old 10-30-2012, 09:31 AM

Thanks everyone for all your comments. I am reading 'Running Blind' right now and big ole Jack Reacher is in trouble. I am complaining about Tom Cruise only because of his size. Jack Reacher is a big boy and Tom Cruise is not. In each of Lee Childs books he talks about how Jack Reacher stands out because of his size, how he is hard to hide etc etc etc. So why pick a guy who is only 5'6" tall ? I always thought that if Tom Selleck were younger, he would be my pick. I have thought and thought about who would do a good job and I agree that Liev Schrieber would be great. Oh well, they didn't ask us, did they ?
Old 10-30-2012, 10:02 AM

My hubby and I have read all of the Reacher novels, except the last one. It got such poor reviews, I'm afraid to read it! And, IMHO, Tom Cruise is not Reacher! No way, no how! How about Johnny Strong (pictured) or Hugh Jackman?
Attached Thumbnails johnny-strong-head-shot-thumb-300xauto-34211.jpg  
Old 10-30-2012, 10:17 AM

I kind of picture Tom Selleck in that role. I mean really retired MP, 6'4", 250 lbs., broad shoulders. What part of that spells Tom Cruise? Jack is one of my favorite characters and now I have to picture Mighty Mouse in his place. What a BIG disappointment. We need to band together and send Lee Child an e-mail. Hopefully Tom Cruise didn't get a serial contract and we can put him on the dusty shelf.
Old 10-30-2012, 01:08 PM

Hmmm...he doesn't remind me of the Jack Reacher type but he often appears taller in films. He's too skinny and pretty though also.
Old 10-30-2012, 01:12 PM

They need to hire my 6'7" retired Marine son-in-law. He would make a GOOD one.
Old 10-30-2012, 01:13 PM

Originally Posted by AUQuilter View Post
The local paper ran a story about Tom (and family-before divorce) when he was in Pittsburgh filming the movie. DH read the article and then turned to me and said, "Who would have chosen him to be Reacher?" This is one we are not headed out to see. If you like Lee Child, you may also try Vince Flynn's (Mitch Rapp) and my favorite, Daniel Silva (Gabe Allon).
I am a Reacher and a Mitch Rapp fan. Never heard of Gabe Allen so I'm going looking on the net for those books. Thanks for the info!
Old 10-30-2012, 01:50 PM

Originally Posted by lhunt825 View Post
We need to band together and send Lee Child an e-mail.
Believe me, he is well aware of his fans' disappointment. When the announcement was made, there was a huge, furious uproar on all the blogs, message boards, forums, etc., but the deed was done. Here are some things he's said about Tom:

In an interview with the BBC, Lee Child said that it would be impossible to find a suitable actor to play the giant Reacher and that it is impossible to recreate the feel of the book on the big screen, but Cruise had the talent to make an effective Reacher.

Child responded to criticism (about Tom's height) by saying, "With another actor, you might get 100 percent of the height but only 90 percent of Reacher. With Tom, you’ll get 100 percent of Reacher with 90 percent of the height."

The contracts are signed and the first movie is due to be released December 21, so it's too late. If the movie is a hit, I'm sure Tom will be on board for more movies.
Old 10-31-2012, 07:33 AM

I have the same problem. Tom Cruise will never be Jack Reacher. How they could pick a 5'7" actor to play Reacher is beyond stupid. There are several other actors that would have been better in that role.
Old 10-31-2012, 07:50 AM

That's just goofy! Really makes one wonder, how he got the role.