Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Working with pastels >

Working with pastels

Working with pastels

Old 04-05-2013, 03:31 AM

If you reread your own post, I think you've already answered your question. In addition, would the couple (bride) appreciate the quilt IF you made it? Sometimes we do things because it's something WE ourselves would appreciate coming from someone, but not everyone feels the same about quilts as we do. IF you do pursue making the quilt, I would certainly choose colors and a design that the couple would appreciate. After all, it is a lot of work to make a quilt and you would certainly want them to appreciate what you've made for them!!
Old 04-05-2013, 04:25 AM

This quilt is so lovely and so restful. This is in reference to the quilt on previous page in soft white and mostly greys, lain over a chair. I love it. Think about it.

Last edited by Yooper32; 04-05-2013 at 04:28 AM. Reason: Reply with quote didn't work.
Old 04-05-2013, 04:51 AM

Originally Posted by southernmema View Post
If you reread your own post, I think you've already answered your question. In addition, would the couple (bride) appreciate the quilt IF you made it? Sometimes we do things because it's something WE ourselves would appreciate coming from someone, but not everyone feels the same about quilts as we do. IF you do pursue making the quilt, I would certainly choose colors and a design that the couple would appreciate. After all, it is a lot of work to make a quilt and you would certainly want them to appreciate what you've made for them!!
I agree with this comment. I like making quilts and I want it to remain a hobby for me. I would not do it for any other reasons. and not everybody appreciate the labour and the creativity in them. I would buy something and quilt for my own and very selfish pleasure loll . too many contraints for my taste anyway.
Old 04-05-2013, 05:15 AM
Power Poster

Just go a little brighter, more of a sunnier yellow or Country French yellow. Pastel blue, go sky blue. Pink (?) go rose. Just go couple steps brighter. What ever colors you have in your stash will probably work. I have a cousin and every room in her house is so pastel, you can't tell what color it is. I'm sure they will love it.
Old 04-05-2013, 05:34 AM

Lots of great suggestions here. Today in the daily newsletter there is a gorgeous quilt made by LyndaOH with fabrics in the colors you named: http://www.quiltingboard.com/picture...e-t218185.html
Old 04-05-2013, 05:43 AM

I went to the thread you posted,and that is a beautiful quilt. Great job on the quilt and the quilting.
Old 04-05-2013, 05:45 AM

My feeling is you are making a guilt. Make it the way you want. A quilt is a great gift of love and they should be happy to get ANY handmade quilt they get. Are they quilt worthy? Will they care for a quilt? jmho
Old 04-05-2013, 05:53 AM

Find a floral print that has soft yellows and greens in it. Use that for wide borders and your backing. Then just make some color coordinated blocks. After all, this is a gift for THEM, so bite the bullet and make it in their colors. Who knows, you may end up loving it!
Old 04-05-2013, 06:14 AM

I quilted a queen size cheater quilt a number of years ago. Since then she's gotten a king size bed and wanted me to make her a quilt for it. I by mistake asked her what colors. She said black, white, sage green, brown, tan and beige. That's all. Nothing else. I told her she needed something to make it pop....no she didn't. That's all the colors she wanted. I studied and studied on what pattern to use. I finally settled on a pattern a dear friend has. Twisted Turning Twenty. Ok got that settled. Now for the back of the quilt. She never told me anything about it. So I feel I can do whatever I want. I've been collecting fat quarters with beachy stuff on it. She loves the beach. the backing will make up for the top in color...believe me. LOL I might have to look at those colors she picked on the top but just knowing what I plan to do on the back is worth it.
Old 04-05-2013, 06:27 AM

I think these colors would make a beautiful quilt, however, you don't want to do it. I know that if someone asked me to make a modern quilt or a quilt with photos on it, I would gag ! I would find something else to do for this couple other than a quilt.