Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Don't touch that tension... >
  • Don't touch that tension...

• Don't touch that tension...

Old 06-23-2013, 06:47 AM
    Power Poster

The adjustment I just became aware of was the pressure adjustment.
    Old 06-23-2013, 06:56 AM

I grew up hearing the same thing! Funny!
    Now I teach the women in my classes not to be afraid of it. Great advice from ckcowl.
    For those who want to try adjusting the bobbin tension (which is not often needed, just when using specialty threads on my machine) place the bobbin case and your hands inside a large plastic bag. If you don't, the tiny screw that can fall out will be lost forever in your rug! Prevent this by adjusting it where the screw cannot get lost.

Sometimes, depending on the machine you have, you can increase the bobbin tension by putting your thread through the "eye" or around the "pigtail" that is part of the bobbin case.
    That way you may not need to adjust the bobbin tension.

BTW, my machine hates monofilament, so I have to turn my top tension all the way down to 0 to get correct tension with monofilament. Don't be afraid of it!

Last edited by Gabrielle's Mimi; 06-23-2013 at 07:02 AM.
    Old 06-23-2013, 07:59 AM

Those home ec teachers never realized how much damage they would cause by telling us not to touch the tension knob LOL! Tension seems to be the biggest problem for anyone who buys a professional quilting or embroidery machine. It is just something you have to get over, both for bobbin thread and top thread, at least if you want to use lots of different threads (which I do). Another thing you have to get used to is how much adjusting is needed. For example, my 12 needle embroidery machine tension needs to be rotated at least two full rotations of the knob before any significant change is made!

Think of it - is I reasonable for a machine to sew two layers of quilting cotton with a 50 weight thread using the same tension as 6 layers of heavy denim or a quilt with thick batting or the handles on a purse made with heavy interfacing and 4 layers of heavy canvas? You will definitely get a better stitch if you can adjust your tensions.

Pam
    Old 06-23-2013, 08:01 AM
    Power Poster

[QUOTE=CanoePam;6138716]Those home ec teachers never realized how much damage they would cause by telling us ................../QUOTE]

............. but they are smiling down on us, thinking what a lasting impression they had while knowing they planted the seeds within us to go on to such wonderful sewing!
    Old 06-23-2013, 08:09 AM
    Power Poster

The home ec teacher either didn't know how to adjust the tension or didn't want to spend all her time adjusting tensions...
    Old 06-23-2013, 08:19 AM

Home Ec scared us into thinking we shouldn't touch the tension. Wish the teacher could see me now! I mess with the bobbin tension, too. HA!!!
    Old 06-23-2013, 08:37 AM

For both my Pfaff 2056 and QE 4.0, I adjust both tensions and for convenience I bought an extra bobbin case for both. I think Miriam is right about the teachers not wanting to spend all their time resetting tension, plus we only sewed two pieces of fabric together so there was no need to fool with the tension.
    Old 06-23-2013, 09:16 AM

I learned to sew first on my great-grandmother's treadle Singer (WISH I had that machine). Gram was all about perfect tension, so from the beginning, say age 4-5, I've been adjusting the tension without being told it was "bad". The secret is "go slow with tension changes". The other secret is to run a practice stitch, something you'll be using in your project, and carefully examine both the top and bottom threads for precision tension. Only adjust one tension at a time (upper or lower) or you'll never learn how each individually alters the tension. Never move the screw in the bottom tension more than 1/4 at a time. Always use the same type/thickness of fabric/quilt sandwich that you'll be sewing on. Once it's perfect on your experimental fabric/sandwich, you can just start sewing.

DO write down the original position/tension number at the beginning so you know where you started. DON'T be intimidated by your tension! You really can't mess it up so much that you can't fix it. If you could, surely I'd have done it at some point over the last 50 years! LOL!
    Old 06-23-2013, 10:30 AM

I never heard that from my mother, who sewed many of my prettiest dresses on a Singer treadle before she got an electric machine. She could fix almost anything on a sewing machine and what she couldn't fix was straightened out by a repairman who made housecalls. He thought he could make any sewing machine fit any cabinet and he was right 99 percent of the time. He is the person who told me not to touch the tension again after I got it so out of sync that I can't even describe the problem.

I still have that machine, a Kenmore from the late 1950's and it is a Doozie! But I don't touch the tension. I don't touch the tension on my Janome, either. If something goes wrong with it, I drive 27 miles to an expert Janome repairman and leave it with him to get it back in adjustment. Now, if he could just get the automatic needle threader to work consistently! froggyintexas
    Originally Posted by Boonedox
    How many of you heard your mother say, "don't touch that tension"? I need to get over my fear of moving that little knob I don't blame her, I'm sure her machine (late 1960's) was temperamental.
    So any tension tips for dummies out there?
    I want to add that this board is awesome, so many sweet people who will share their knowledge and love of quilting. Thank you!
    Old 06-23-2013, 11:22 AM

Me too! I have found using Superior Threads Bottom Line thread in the bobbin has made sewing so much easier! I was even able to use invisible nylon thread on top and I had so many issues with it before!

Originally Posted by Lisa_wanna_b_quilter
    I have no fear of the top tension but can't bring myself to mess with bobbin tension. I'm convinced if I turn that little screw on the bobbin case something BAD will happen.