Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What thread do you use for the piecing? >

What thread do you use for the piecing?

What thread do you use for the piecing?

Old 11-02-2013, 02:57 AM

For quilting, I have been using 50 to 60 wt. for the bobbin and neutral thread, usually 40 weight, for a number of years with success. The brand does not matter.
Old 11-02-2013, 04:42 AM

Originally Posted by Stitchnripper View Post
I use Coats and Clark, and I hear it is linty, but I've not had problems with it. I don't use computerized machines, though.
That's all we can get around here at Walmart. If need a specialty thread I have to order it. I do like Thread connections I don't remember the weight of it. My regular old sewing machines like it also. I do not have a quilting machine. Just 12 working machines.
Old 11-02-2013, 05:02 AM

For me, it's Coats and Clarks all purpose for piecing and A & E Perma Core for quilting on my lonagram.
Old 11-02-2013, 05:16 AM

I use Connecting Threads for piecing and Superior's So Fine #50 for quilting.
Old 11-02-2013, 05:18 AM

I use Aurifil always. My machine loves it and so do I. If you have a chance, take a spool of Aurifil and a spool of another cotton thread and compare them. There is a lot more thread on the Aurifil spool than on a spool of another brand the same size. That is because the Aurifil doesn't have all the lint that the other threads have. I think that is one of the reasons my machine loves it so much. I swear my machine even sounds better when I am using Aurifil thread. I only buy 2 colors for piecing. One is a light beige and the other is a dark gray. The only time I use a different brand thread is when I am doing embroidery, and then I use Robison Anton or Isacord poly thread.
Old 11-02-2013, 05:24 AM

I use Aurafil or Prescencia for piecing. I use any color that will blend with what I'm sewing. Usually the beiges or a pale green for lighter color fabrics and any taupe to brown for darker colors. For quilting I use several different brands and weights depending on if I want the quilting to stand out or blend in.
Old 11-02-2013, 05:38 AM

I used mostly Superior threads "So Fine" and Aurifil. I like that they are thinner, but still considered 50 weight. When you get into threads like Connecting threads, which by the way, I love to quilt with, you have to adjust your 1/4" seam a smidge because the thread takes up moe room in the seam. Is it that much when your piecing 12" blocks together? No, but the accuracy of smaller pieces can be changed, and you just have to test your seam first. Also, be sure to use the same brand of thread throughout your project, because the different weights of thread can throw you off.
Old 11-02-2013, 07:50 AM
Power Poster

I may be in the minority, however, I use the Coats and Clarks thread the majority of the time, although I also use Mettler threads but I only buy it when it's on sale. When I was doing a lot of crafting & sewing I had just about every color of the rainbow and then some, and since we're now on a very limited budget I will use what I have until it runs out, which may be a while. Having the assorted colors comes in handy when making clothes for my DGD though.
Old 11-02-2013, 07:56 AM

I read here (I think) that Connecting Threads is closing out it's Essential thread line, is this true?
Old 11-02-2013, 08:25 AM

Coats and Clark Dual Duty XP
Works for me