Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • machine binding back first or front first >
  • machine binding back first or front first

• machine binding back first or front first

Old 01-11-2014, 06:51 AM

A step that I deem important doesn't seem to have been mentioned here. If I use the machine to do the binding I sew it on the back of the quilt. Then I use a ruler to be sure and trim layers even (this is only a small amount, but the layers need to be perfectly even). Then I press the binding and quilt so that it is flat. When I roll it to the front to stitch I know that the back is flat and will not be wavy. Sometimes I use a decorative stitch and use the presser foot recommended by the stitch I choose. I find that the good pressing makes the corner miters really square. I have had good outcomes with machine binding. Just like machine quilting for shows had to come of age I think machine binding will also become acceptable some time in the future.
    Old 01-11-2014, 06:59 AM
    Suz

I think it depends on the use of the quilt. If it is to be used everyday and washed often (i.e., a child's quilt, TV throw, lap quilt for elderly), then I would do it by machine and one of use the several machine applications. However, if it is to be used carefully and might be an heirloom, then by all means stitch the binding on the top first and then handstitch on the back.
    I make a lot of Quilts of Valor and apply the binding on the back first, turn to top and then use a decorative stitch to secure. Most of these quilts go into a hospital setting where spills will happen and these quilts must stand up to many washings.
    Old 01-11-2014, 07:18 AM

I sew the binding to the back first so that I can turn it over to the front and stitch it down.
    Sharon
    Old 01-11-2014, 07:19 AM

Originally Posted by GailG
    There is a way to sew the binding on the front and machine stitch the second step. Don't know if I can explain, but this is what I do.: I cut the binding 1/4 of an inch wider than usual. Fold in half as usual. Sew to the front. When the binding is rolled over to the back it will be wider on the back than on the front. Then, on the right side, stitch as close to the binding as you can. I usually use my fingers on the left hand to nudge the binding out of the way. The stitching won't show once the binding is rolled back into place. The stitching will catch the binding on the back. Is this as clear as mud? (Actually when I was doing garment sewing in the sixties, this is what we called stitching in the ditch.)
    Originally Posted by gigigray032447
    I machine sew all my bindings. From the front first making sure that the binding lines up evenly with the quilt edge. I then press, pin on the back making sure the stitch line is covered, and stitch in the ditch from the front. It's taken me a few quilts to get it right, but I perfected the technique to where I'm more than pleased with the result. I've tried every way there is to machine sew bindings because I make so many comfort quilts. This works the best for me.

I make my bindings like gigigray and GailG. But there are a few things I would like to add. After the binding is sewn onto the front, open it out and press that seam very well. This is the ditch into which you will stitch. I have no need to make the binding or raw edges wider. Fold to the back and use School Glue to hold the binding down just about 1/8 inch over the stitching line. When I SID from the front I very seldom miss anything. After the quilt is washed, the binding relaxes and the SID is almost invisible, as it should be.
    Old 01-11-2014, 07:20 AM

Back first then front, can't hand sew any more.
    Old 01-11-2014, 08:29 AM

Originally Posted by GailG
    There is a way to sew the binding on the front and machine stitch the second step. Don't know if I can explain, but this is what I do.: I cut the binding 1/4 of an inch wider than usual. Fold in half as usual. Sew to the front. When the binding is rolled over to the back it will be wider on the back than on the front. Then, on the right side, stitch as close to the binding as you can. I usually use my fingers on the left hand to nudge the binding out of the way. The stitching won't show once the binding is rolled back into place. The stitching will catch the binding on the back. Is this as clear as mud? (Actually when I was doing garment sewing in the sixties, this is what we called stitching in the ditch.)
    Clear to me ... might try it
    Old 01-11-2014, 09:05 AM

Originally Posted by TerryQuilter
    I stitch to the back first, it's easier for me. I don't do hand sewing so this works best. The flange bindings are really nice and if you match thread to backing are ALMOST as neat as hand sewing.
    I agree with TerryQ. The faux flange is great.
    Old 01-11-2014, 09:59 AM

Originally Posted by eparys
    I always sew the binding on the front and then hand stitch the back. I have never been happy with machine stitching the second side and although I HATE hand sewing I always do this by hand.
    Me too. I do hate hand work so don't applique either. Guess I'm lazy!
    Old 01-11-2014, 10:01 AM
    Power Poster

I generally prefer to sew the binding on the front, then finish the back by hand stitching. However, occasionally I will do the binding by machine, sewing it to the back first, then coming around to the front.
    Old 01-11-2014, 10:02 AM

I can't do much hand sewing so I stitch to the back, then sew the front down. It's not perfect but I have yet to get a complaint. I think it looks nice with a decorative stitch but it's not necessary.