Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Links and Resources
Joann's has a new line of Made in USA fabrics! >

Joann's has a new line of Made in USA fabrics!

Joann's has a new line of Made in USA fabrics!

Old 02-15-2014, 11:06 PM

Originally Posted by Alondra View Post
Made in USA, or made in "America"??? Bet it's the latter. Most of the mills here in the U.S. shut down several years ago, when they off-shored. Don't forget... America includes Canada, Mexico, Central America, and South America, and if you stretch it a little, Puerto Rico, Guam, and several other territories and protectorates, as well. And that, in a nutshell, is what advertising is all about - deceiving us.
I'm wondering that too. Made in America does not necessarily mean made in the USA.
Old 02-15-2014, 11:30 PM

Originally Posted by Alondra View Post
Made in USA, or made in "America"??? Bet it's the latter. Most of the mills here in the U.S. shut down several years ago, when they off-shored. Don't forget... America includes Canada, Mexico, Central America, and South America, and if you stretch it a little, Puerto Rico, Guam, and several other territories and protectorates, as well. And that, in a nutshell, is what advertising is all about - deceiving us.
I have written to them asking "if it is made in the USA why not say so? If is isn't then they being deceptive in my opinion by saying 'made in America'." I received an auto email saying to allow a week for a reply. Will let you know if I get an answer. I hope others will write to them as well to let them know we want answers. Where is the factory located, etc.

Old 02-15-2014, 11:36 PM

A lot of people are raving about the new "made in the USA" fabrics on their facebook page and they are not correcting them. I have a feeling they may not be made in the USA at all but I asked for clarification on their facebook page. I figure the more they're asked, the more likely they are to explain.
Old 02-15-2014, 11:42 PM

This article says they are made in the USA. So why don't they just say that? Don't they know that "America" can mean more than just the US? Curious to hear the "official" word from Joann's.

http://www.businesswire.com/news/Phi...bricTraditions
Old 02-15-2014, 11:44 PM

Originally Posted by quiltinghere View Post
Thanks for the link! I wonder what the quality is like...how does it feel?

Someone's has to go to the store and check it out! How's going to volunteer to go pet fabric? Hahahaha!

Nan - In SUNNY going to be almost 30 degrees NW Indiana! Yeaaaaaaaaa!
It never did reach even close to 30 degrees here on Friday like they said they would (I'm about 66 miles south of South Bend). Our thermometer never showed anything above 22. We did get a little more SNOW though. ugh. sick of snow.
Old 02-16-2014, 03:58 AM

Rather than contacting Joann's, I went to the manufacturer - Fabric Traditions - and contacted them. I asked them specifically if their greige goods are woven in the US, and/or if they are printed in the US.

The auto response I got said to check their FAQ's (I already had) and if the answer was not given there (it wasn't), to allow a week for a response.
Old 02-16-2014, 06:26 AM

Well that was a quick week, lol! Here's the answer I got, which is the news we were all wanting!

"Our "Creating New Traditions" fabric is 100% Made in America. The cotton is domestic, the weaving mill is in South Carolina and it is printed in Massachusetts. The designs are created in our studio in NY.
In addition a portion of the proceeds has been donated to "the National Military Family Association" which benefits all branches of the military and tier families."
Old 02-16-2014, 08:44 AM

How weird that they wouldn't just use "Made in the USA" since that leaves no question. Anyway they answered on facebook and it wasn't that detailed but said it's all made in the US.
Old 02-16-2014, 08:19 PM

Well this sounds pretty darn good to me! Will have to check it out. If it's popular enough maybe there will be more designs made. Thank you for getting the information, and so quickly!

Originally Posted by peaceandjoy View Post
Well that was a quick week, lol! Here's the answer I got, which is the news we were all wanting!

"Our "Creating New Traditions" fabric is 100% Made in America. The cotton is domestic, the weaving mill is in South Carolina and it is printed in Massachusetts. The designs are created in our studio in NY.
In addition a portion of the proceeds has been donated to "the National Military Family Association" which benefits all branches of the military and tier families."
Old 02-16-2014, 08:26 PM

Perhaps the instructions left out, "do not iron before washing"​ because of some sizing or process chemical residue?