Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • How do I make these OBW's into square blocks? >
  • How do I make these OBW's into square blocks?

• How do I make these OBW's into square blocks?

Old 03-29-2019, 11:08 AM

Thank you Alikigirl for bring this back up. I also have questions about a partially finished pattern/fabric that was given to me and I've never made a OBW or S/W before; I've never even looked at a pattern for either so you know I'm flying in the dark. My problem, besides not having enough fabric to get at least a twin size, is not even having an idea of what the original maker was aiming for. There are a variety of blocks-- I can't think of what they are called--besides the basic OBW block. I have done as much research as I could without investing into a pattern/book that I would not have chosen to make. I love the posies, no bias, always have an eye out for suitable fabrics for that! This thread has helped greatly to show me some possibilities when more fabric is needed and a new fabric needs to be added. And the video was also a great help.
    Thanks, again.
    Old 03-30-2019, 06:43 AM

Thanks for bringing this up - I just started on a OBW using a black/white print, and it's going to come up way darker than I hoped. After looking at the links, I got the idea of using white star points. I think that is going to work fine and also give me a bit larger quilt in the end.

However I'm cutting my white points as the same size triangles as the OBW. That way I don't have all those seams down the center.

I made this using the ends, so the hexies are about half the size of the main quilt. I think I'll use it as a center medallion for a lap quilt.

Old 03-30-2019, 07:10 AM

Since this thread was brought up, I figured I'd share one of my many mistakes. I've been trying to stretch myself and while still working with scraps, I'm trying to do a few more contemporary style quilts. One of which will be black backgrounds and mostly metallic fabrics, I have a rough layout in my head. I wanted to do a small row of the hexes where you lay them out in rows while they are still in halves.

I prepared my fabric -- and then I grabbed the wrong ruler! Eek, octagons not hexes. They didn't cut as well since I had prepared my fabric in 3 layers and I had to scramble to get enough pieces. I still haven't finished the center seams, might as well at this point. I can still use them in the project but will probably applique on instead of piece-in.
    Attached Thumbnails mistake.jpg  
    Old 03-30-2019, 08:13 AM
    Power Poster

octagons are easier to make squares out of.
    Old 03-30-2019, 08:30 AM

What if you did strips around it (log cabin style) until it was big enough to trim square/
    Old 03-30-2019, 09:22 AM
    Power Poster

One can "straighten the edges" with triangles

60-30-90 degrees

120-30-30 degrees

60-60-60 as has been illustrated

A hexagon does not fit well into a square.
    Old 03-30-2019, 03:06 PM

Cathy, what pattern are you using? What do you mean by "using the ends" and "the hexies are about half the size of the main quilt"?
    Old 03-31-2019, 07:50 AM

Jaiade, I'm using the layout that alikigirl posted #30.

I figured out how large I wanted the hexies to be based on how much distance I had between repeats, and it turned out to be 6.5" tall which is about 7" per side. I don't have a 60 deg ruler so use the 30/60 deg line on my 6.5x12 ruler.

After cutting the main triangles, I had scrap triangles at each end of the fabric strips and cut as big of an equilateral triangle as I could out of that scrap.

The ones in the picture I posted are around 3" per side, so about half what I'm using for the quilt.
    Old 04-09-2019, 05:51 PM

To ILovetoQuilt: OBW stands for One Block Wonder. You cut triangles from a focus fabric, then rearrange into hexagon, as the original poster did.
    Old 04-10-2019, 08:20 AM

Wow, some great ideas here! I read too quickly and didn't realize the triangles in the OP were paper! I like it...

One thing I forgot when I was doing my OBW was how much the edges change from the original cutout/placement to the *sewn* hexi, with 1/4" less per side. I guess it's always an experiment.

I'm enjoying reading about the other options, not sure I'd do the full OBW next time!

Edited to reflect my also not realizing the OP was from 2014.

Last edited by Cheshirepat; 04-10-2019 at 08:29 AM.