Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Has Anyone Noticed How Expensive Quilt Show Admissions Have Gotten? >

Has Anyone Noticed How Expensive Quilt Show Admissions Have Gotten?

Has Anyone Noticed How Expensive Quilt Show Admissions Have Gotten?

Old 06-26-2014, 04:55 AM

Exactly WHERE are these high-priced shows at? I'm in Michigan, and the price for quilt shows is between $6 - $8. I have NEVER attended a $12 show!!!
Old 06-26-2014, 04:57 AM

For me, the whole experience is worth so much more than the cost in dollars that I don't mind one little bit what major shows charge for admission. Every time I've gone to one, I've floated ten feet off the ground for weeks afterwards! There's nothing that can compare to seeing world class show quilts in the minute detail you get at a show. The inspiration and the energy I gain are priceless. Nope, no complaints here.
Old 06-26-2014, 05:22 AM

Everything costs more money these days. We only have a given amount of money and only a small part of it is available for spending as one chooses. Choices must be made. I find ways to scrimp and save and use the savings to spend on my quilting hobby whether is to go to a quilt show, buy supplies, etc. I try to balance my choices because I will not overspend the money available but the choices I make are for my pleasure. Sometimes I like to go to a quilt show with friends for the fellowship and sharing and sometimes I like to go alone because my purpose is to have an experience that is just what I want to have. I go to fewer shows now and buy less stuff because they are more expensive but I don't have any more money than I did before. My 'hang-up' is the high cost of poor quality food in these venues so I bring my own.
Old 06-26-2014, 05:43 AM

My DS just went to a movie and it cost $8.00 for a 60 min. movie.

I've never been to a quilt show- but at $10 + for a day- that is a deal.
Old 06-26-2014, 05:54 AM

I agree fully. I work as a volunteer every year and the amount of volunteer labor that goes into the show plus the curtain rental plus the hall rental makes the fee look no so expensive. How many big quilt shows do you go to every year? Is your dh a sports fan...anyone in your family have seasons tickets to something? Quilt shows are inspiring and to me are a part of quilting!
Old 06-26-2014, 05:56 AM

I go to Paducah at least every other year and I think their fee was $10 last year. That was for one fun filled day and parking was free. Then I went to a church that was sponsoring a guild quilt show and paid $5 for about 1 hour of looking. Usually I pay about $2-3 for a small quilt show and now they are $5. I know vendors have to pay a rather high price to be there so I always wonder why these small quilt shows are getting so expensive.
Old 06-26-2014, 06:04 AM

Parking costs are often determined by the convention center, not the show. So when parking costs more than the show, there isn't anything the show can do about it.
Old 06-26-2014, 06:09 AM

I'm not a frequent show-goer - maybe once a year - but have been to Vermont quilt show, which I loved. It was inspirational to see the beautiful work and the historical and special exhibits. I was excited to be able to 'talk shop' with other quilters around the show. It was educational to talk with vendor exhibitors about fabrics and tools and machines. It would have been even better if I could have gotten into one of the full-up workshops or lectures, but I didn't plan ahead. I am getting goose pimples just thinking about it.

It gives me the same boost as it would to go to a trade show or conference in my professional life - exchange ideas, get inspired, make new contacts, learn something.

On the other hand, I think I would not be racing off to see every place somebody hung a quilt and charged admission. The deal is, you want it to be additive; that's worth it!
Old 06-26-2014, 07:17 AM
Power Poster

Actually, I would consider myself lucky to have a large show nearby. There is only one show a year near me, and the admission is $5.00. That probably says that it is a small show. We are usually in and out in about a half hour. I cannot afford to go to Houston.
Old 06-26-2014, 07:42 AM

I really don't mind paying the fee, because I like to see the quilts. The national shows are more than worth the money, and I have yet to see a local quilt guild that uses the money for selfish purposes like paying members,or whatever. Most use at least some of the money to help local charities, etc. But I had several quilts in a local show, two of which I had borrowed back from my 4 year old great-niece to show, and I felt bad that she and her mother (and my sister-in-law, the grandmother) would have to pay $25 just to see her quilts in a show, without any real interest in the rest of the show.