Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Member Swaps and Round/Row Robins
August 2014 Pincushion & Needlecase Swap ~ signup closes July 31st >

August 2014 Pincushion & Needlecase Swap ~ signup closes July 31st

August 2014 Pincushion & Needlecase Swap ~ signup closes July 31st

Old 07-25-2014, 10:37 AM

Glad to see we have some newbies this month. Thank you Mawluv and Mary for my lesson in copy/paste. Your calf and sister are really getting big. Do they still call the female a calf? City girl here. Your petunias are really nice. I only have a few left and even the replacement one didn't make it. I now have marigolds. I was just at a yard sale today and the lady was weeding and she had a hibiscus and she said someone told her that she would have to take it in for the winter. I told her I didn't think so but I know my neighbors have some and they don't take them in. I even have a big cactus that can withstand the winter. Your's is beautiful and huge. I've never seen a mimosa tree. Keep the pics coming.
Old 07-25-2014, 10:55 AM

Thanks for all the pictures, Mary. You have some beautiful flowers and the calves are adorable. I use to live on a farm and miss that kind of life. Maybe one day I can move back to the country.
Old 07-25-2014, 11:20 AM

Originally Posted by JuneBillie View Post
It makes me sad to have to say I won't be in on this month's swap, due to my lupus, etc. has caused me a bad flare that past several days. I can't seem to get much done right now. No energy. I slept a lot today, and have the past few days so I am afraid to commit this month. I will still be here as always to say hi or add in some way.

I hate these disorders, but we all have something that is ours to deal with. On the bright side, I have wonderful friends here that are such a joy to exchange moments with.

Welcome to the ones just joining. You will have lots of fun. We have a great hostess here too.

Have a great evening everyone, and it's almost TGIF.
Susan I hope you are feeling better today. I wonder if the weather has something to do with the symptons as my friend in NH that has it has not been feeling good for 3 days and I know yesterday it was 93 there. Take care
Old 07-25-2014, 11:26 AM
Power Poster

Mary, the flowers are out of this world. and grapes too.
now that little bull, he's so adorable, what's his name? is he a pet??? he's precious.
I had petunias plant themselves. i had greens ina pot and kept watering them, hoping for something, and i got a whole pot 24" x 8" full of them. what a nice surprise.

On another note. I have Hens and chicks (the plant) can i keep it outside in the winter?? I'm afraid to take it in thinking ear wigs might be in the bottom by the hole. move a pot and they crawled out and over to the hen pot.
Old 07-25-2014, 11:37 AM

Wish I could join you ladies this month! Too many other commitments, and a complete lack of imagination where chickens are concerned. Have an idea for purple, so I'll be ready for September.
Old 07-25-2014, 12:21 PM

Kele, sorry you can't make it this month but we'll look forward to you joining us in September. I'll remind you again next month.
Old 07-25-2014, 01:00 PM
Power Poster

I love your pictures Mary. Those little guys look like they are posing for your pics. Beautiful flowers. Is that one tree a formosa? (sp) Is it difficult to grow the grapes? I have thought of maybe next year starting a vine.
Old 07-25-2014, 01:06 PM
Power Poster

Pat it does seem like the summer this year with the humidity has been harder on me than before.

Thanks all for your kind words, but I am still here. I'm only doing one swap this time with the mini swap. It had just started, so I can slowly work on the one this month.
Old 07-25-2014, 03:26 PM
Power Poster

Ok I'll see if I can answer the questions. Yes they are both still called calves. Until they reach about a year then they are yearlings.These 2 are only going on 3 months old. The heifer is only 10 days older than her brother but she is very big already. He's not far behind her. No they have no names as they will be sold . May keep the heifer then she will be named. Lynnie I don't know about hens and chicks. I know people grow them here though.My hibiscus are left in the ground and cut back almost flat to the ground in the fall. They come back every spring.(so far for about 35 yrs) Mine are giant. My neighbor just bout a reg. hibiscus and the flowers are about 5" across. It is in a pot and is growing like a mini tree. Maybe 5 ft. tall. They were told to bring it in for the winter. Susan the tree is a mamosia like the drink. It grows wild back here. The grapes are about 25 yrs old also. My husband takes care of their pruning. but other than that they grow easily. Here is a couple more pictures. one is of my cucumber vines and the other is the bread and butter pickles I canned weds.Whew that's a lot of typing. Have a great evening. Hugs Mary
Attached Thumbnails dsc02697.jpg   dsc02705.jpg  
Old 07-25-2014, 03:42 PM

Sis if you haven't gotten your email to sign up yet you need to double click on the A/A the first one just about where you put the message, I figured that out last time... I just signed up, hope it got there...