Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Best Practices for Pressing & Using Starch? >
  • Best Practices for Pressing & Using Starch?

• Best Practices for Pressing & Using Starch?

Old 08-03-2014, 08:05 AM

I do not pre wash my fabric, and most of my quilting friends and guild members don't either. I always starch the fabric using best press before I cut. I have found if I cut and sew the blocks and then starch, sometimes the fabric gets distorted and the blocks are not accurate anymore. starching before you cut makes the fabric easier to sew and keeps the blocks the correct size
    Old 08-03-2014, 08:10 AM

Originally Posted by Silver Needle
    I prewash then don't starch until I'm ready to use. I love Best Press but find their sprayer wastes a lot. I went to the Sally's Beauty Supply store and bought 3 oz spray bottles to put it in. Have to refill he bottles often if I am spraying a lot but they spray with a nice fine mist and the Best Press goes a lot farther.
    Good idea, thanks for the tip. I use so much best press, buy the big gallon bottle when it goes on sale at Joannes
    Old 08-03-2014, 08:11 AM

Another tip about starching, always iron the fabric first so that you are spraying the starch on warm fabric, and spray on the back to avoid flakes, altho with best press you don't get flakes
    Old 08-03-2014, 08:29 AM

Originally Posted by BettyGee
    My recent love affair with applique has made starch my new best friend, what an amazing difference it makes.
    BettyGee, could you elaborate a bit? Are you speaking of starching the background fabric, the applique pieces, or both?
    Old 08-03-2014, 02:35 PM

In watching tutorials from Fat Quarter Shop for the Wishes quilt, she makes the block and then sprays with "non-flaking" starch, lets it sit for two minutes, and then presses. Turn out beautiful. Marianne Fons said on her show yesterday she washes her fabric and starches as she works with it. Especially flannel, which she was using yesterday. I wash as soon as I buy it. Can't take the chemical finishes and smells. Iron, fold and store. Then spray with best press and iron before cutting. Then steam, starch and otherwise, whip it into shape as I work on it. lol! Everybody has their favorite way don't they? Enjoy it whatever it is!