Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • How do you sort small scraps? >
  • How do you sort small scraps?

• How do you sort small scraps?

Old 08-04-2014, 09:43 AM

I have a plastic 10 drawer organizer (I need another), easy to have a drawer with say 1 1/2 " , 2", 2 1/2", 5" strips and 10" squares. I put my cut pieces neatly in a drawer to stay straight. Those are the measurements I would use. I like precut sizes. Lots of patterns made for jelly rolls, charms and layer cakes. the way I see it is I will ALWAYS have more than enough scraps so I cut what I have into usable pieces that I can just grab to try out the next best pattern. I follow Bonnie Hunters scrap user system as well. It works for me. If you follow BH system she has several quilt patterns that already have measurements done. (she's done the hard work for ya) I take a scrap and try to get the most usable strips, EXAMPLE: If I have a 7 inch strip, I would cut that into 5" strip to make charms then 2" strip, OR 2 1/2" strip 2 1/2" strip and 2" strip. If I was making a log cabin, I would cut ALL my strips into THAT size. Clear as mud right?
    Old 08-04-2014, 09:58 AM

Anything half-yard or bigger I don't consider a scrap; that goes back into the stash. Sometimes also FQ size goes back into the stash if it's a fabric I particularly like or have another use in mind for.

Anything smaller than a half-yard that is still WOF gets cut at least partially into 2-1/2" strips and stashed separately. I love my home-made "jelly rolls"!

Of what's left, I have 2 bins for scraps; anything 10X10 or larger gets folded up and goes into my "folded" bin, all the smaller pieces go into my "bits" bin. Anything under an inch goes into the "stuffing" bag for the dogs.

My bits get used up pretty frequently because I LOVE doing foundation-pieced crazy quilts. I do lots of scrappy quilts in general, so I "shop" in the "folded" bin a lot. Lately I've also been shopping in the "bits" bin for scraps to make hexies out of too.

I never really get a big scrap build-up, I'm too eager to make another crazy quilt when the collection starts to grow! Fabric I don't want to use gets donated; either to my sister's kids, to my guild, or to the local used fabric shop.
    Old 08-05-2014, 05:50 AM

Originally Posted by Sewnoma
    My bits get used up pretty frequently because I LOVE doing foundation-pieced crazy quilts. I do lots of scrappy quilts in general, so I "shop" in the "folded" bin a lot. Lately I've also been shopping in the "bits" bin for scraps to make hexies out of too. I never really get a big scrap build-up, I'm too eager to make another crazy quilt when the collection starts to grow!
    I just took second place (viewers choice) out of 26 quilts on a crazy quilt made of "crumbs". It was made log cabin style starting with a square inch (but not square) of the same color and building around it. I counted 37 pieces in one 8 inch square (I only counted one.) There were a lot of very well made quilts there, but this one was "striking" I guess. I was surprised at the placing.
    Old 08-05-2014, 05:58 AM

I cut up oddly shaped fabric like that in the sizes pre-cuts come in because there are lots of easy patterns out there that call for pre-cuts. It's a great way to make a quick charity quilt or baby gift using those scrappy fabrics that may not be great for non-scrappy quilts. Then, because I'm crazy, I cut anything smaller into 2 in. squares and the rest goes into a basket for crumb quilts.
    Old 08-05-2014, 06:20 AM

I sort by color and keep in bags, then I can go there when I,m ready to cut.
    Old 08-05-2014, 07:41 AM

that's what I'd do
    Old 08-06-2014, 08:26 PM

Thanks, lots of good ideas here. I'll let you know how it goes.
    Old 08-07-2014, 02:30 AM

Originally Posted by daisydawg
    I used to save all my scraps but now I give them to a lady that uses them instead of just storing them like I used to.
    Yep. I donate to 4h and other charity groups that teach sewing and quilting. I get rid of 1-2 filled trash bags each year. No way am I going to cut them up without a specific project in mind. I don't do "scrappy" .

sandy
    Old 08-07-2014, 04:36 AM

Oh Ghostrider, you make my heart hurt! You throw fabric out? I'll bet you could get lots of interest in people paying postage to get your scraps. I sure would. I LOVE scrappy quilts, so I would love them.
    Originally Posted by ghostrider
    I keep useable fabric pieces with the remaining yardage of the same fabric which is stored by color and type (batik, print, solid) because I want to know how much I have of that fabric in total. I don't want it in several places, I never precut anything, and I don't make scrap quilts. If pieces are smaller than I will readily use, they're thrown out.
    Old 08-07-2014, 05:02 AM
    Power Poster

I tried to sort but it got too overwhelming to store and keep straight. I toss all scraps in a tall laundry hamper and when that gets full I take it to guild. It's fun to dump it out on the table and go through it with a lot of quilters. Somone will want all the blues, some all the reds. I usually find some I decide I need to keep. It all starts all over again.

Last edited by Onebyone; 08-07-2014 at 05:11 AM.