Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • How many quilts do you finish in a year? >
  • How many quilts do you finish in a year?

• How many quilts do you finish in a year?

Old 04-23-2015, 11:16 PM

It all depends... as many as 7 in 2010 and only 2 last year. Then there are the pile of UFOs... that king sized OBW staring at me from the closet is begging to be finished this year.
    Old 04-24-2015, 02:05 AM

Originally Posted by Krisb
    ....... So I guess I have joined the slow stitching movement.
    I am in the same movement. The first one took me 4 or 5 or 6 years, (double bed size) then I did one lap quilt in 1 year, then 1 bedsize quilt the next year
    so I guess it is an average of one each year. As I make them reversible we can say 2 each year. as some said, I enjoy the journey (most of the time) and there is so much more I enjoy doing. No deadline for me anymore. I'm retired and enjoy having my own time my own schedule. No more racing for me thank you.
    Old 04-24-2015, 02:31 AM

Well, I'd say it varies for me. Sometimes I'll get an "enthusiastic" phase, and make a lot of progress, sometimes I go for months without managing a stitch (life interferes, you know the drill). I also have a tendency towards doing the more complex/fiddly designs, plus I have several quilts underway at any one time (and much as I would like to have a system/explanation for them all being at different stages I'm afraid with me it is more the magpie effect...), so I take an age. But I enjoy it, and don't feel any pressure - it's a hobby - so I just meander along in my own happy way. LOL

Old 04-24-2015, 03:27 AM

Ugh! Ya'll I'm trucking along slowly.
    Old 04-24-2015, 03:58 AM

It depends on my time and motivation and difficulty of the piecing. If by finish, you mean start to end, probably no more than two or three. I am notorious for making several tops before I finish one completely, so that can spread over more than a year. The exception is the year I make at-shirt quilt for a grandchild. That gets started the first of the year they are in 8th grade and finished for Christmas. I have to work the quilting in with my yard work, volunteering, exercising, hiking, and grandchildren. There just are not enough hours for all I want to do.
    Old 04-24-2015, 03:59 AM

It is refreshing to read the responses to this thread. I am an enjoy the journey/process type person rather than get it done type. As a result it takes me a while to make a quilt and every quilt I make is some new technique, pattern so I'm learning as I go along. I also quilt all my quilts rather than sending them out. I usually get 2-3 done a year. It seemed like I was the only one who was such a slow poke until I read the responses. It's nice to know I'm not alone.
    Old 04-24-2015, 04:54 AM

I have made only one top. But I did get the remodeling done to our bathrooms. Happy about this. Now back to sewing.
    Old 04-24-2015, 04:59 AM
    shy

I usually average 1-2. a month..mostly queen size..I make one from start to finish ..before I go on.I quilt on my home machine..I have hex hand one going all the time..usually 2 a year of those..
    Old 04-24-2015, 05:48 AM

As many as I can LOL: It was fun looking back and I actually accomplished more than I thought. I am rather slow and methodical and make quilts etc. as the need arises (most are gifted) and the spirit moves me. No race here.
    In 2011: 3 baby, 1 QAYG queen, 2 wall, and many accessory types: purse, thread catchers, etc.
    In 2012: 5 lap, 2 wall, 6 accessory pieces including a shower curtain, 2 baby, 2 twins, 1 full;
    In 2013: 5 baby, 4 lap, 1 picnic (85" x 85"), 6 accessories
    In 2014: 3 twin, 2 lap, 1 accessory, 3 baby, 1 wall, 1 queen (tee shirt)
    So far in 2015: 5 baby and one appliqued twin in progress
    Old 04-24-2015, 06:08 AM

I started to learn how to sew/quilt in November of 2013. I finished my first quilt in May 2014.

2014-14 lap quilts for charity, 1 large lap quilt for a gift quilted on home machine, 1 larger lap quilt gift which was sent to professional long armer.
    2015 (so far)- 6 lap quilts for charity, 1 larger lap quilt for a gift quilted on home machine, a 29"x46" dog bed stuffed with all the scraps.

In addition, I have four quilt tops completed for charity. I also have two quilts for gifts that I have spent significant time working on either the cutting or the blocks, but haven't had time to complete them.