Machine Shed update

Old 05-20-2015, 07:45 PM

I love how you've displayed your machines!
Old 05-21-2015, 04:49 AM

Dh and I are working on bases to hold the machines upright and level. We also installed one more shelf that I'll be putting the Whites on.

This weekend, I've got to get my garden in, so not sure how much time I'll have to work in the Machine Shed. DH is getting anxious to get back to the electrical in the workroom so we can get the bench and sink out of the shop/garage. He got new overhead doors installed yesterday, so he's getting that building cleaned up and wants my stuff out.

HelenAnn - I am gong to look for a stepstool. I need something more stable so I can get the machines off the top shelf.

I have attachments and manuals for most of what is in my collection. I plan on scanning and printing off a copy to keep in the display room, and keeping the originals in the house - some are in very poor shape! I'm so looking forward to having things orgainzied so I know what I have, what I want to keep, and what can go to others that need parts. I don't have any intention of stocking to sell, and am looking forward to having the stuff I don't want sent on to where it can be used.

BTW - anyone that is interested in coming out to see the collection and meet SteveH and Heather when they are here - you are more than welcome.
Old 05-22-2015, 10:21 AM
KLO

Cathi, I bought a nice folding step stool at Wally World for my studio since I have ten foot ceilings and the fabric shelves go all the way up one wall. It has two regular steps and then a third wider one at the top. The "handle" extends a nice distance above that third step so makes it easy to hold onto while straightening up after landing on the top step. I don't like heights much (I can hear my dh laughing at that "much" word) but this ladder feels very stable and secure to me. I just fold it up and lean it against the wall or shelf when not in use. I believe it even comes in one more size larger. So, look around. I am sure you can find something that will work for you. Lifting those machines on or off the shelves needs a nice stable person to do so. Hmmmm, after seeing all those machines and cabinets you have accumulated, maybe you need more than a ladder to become "stable". hehehe JK
Old 05-22-2015, 12:37 PM

Darn - just got back from Menards and forgot to look for a step stool! Got gutters and boards and conduit and other stuff - but it wasn't on the list so it slipped my mind!

I need to get out and till the garden this afternoon since there is rain in the forcast the rest of the weekend.
Old 05-22-2015, 07:49 PM

This is looking so very nice, Cathy!
Old 05-22-2015, 08:04 PM

Cathy,
This shed has turned into a fabulous picture postcard for all of us...
I wonder if you have considered a narrow shelf above the window to put some accessories or puzzle boxes. It would pull the eyes up and show off the shelves of machine.
Old 05-25-2015, 04:47 AM

We continue to watch your progress. Very impressive. I'll bet a lot of people are envious of your new work space. Please keep posting pictures.

John & Janey
Old 05-26-2015, 07:28 AM

That is looking great! You really do have an awesome collection, jaw-dropping. I don't even know what the dashboards are...never heard of them. Can you sew while driving?
More important will there be enough wall space for the 50 fab stars?
Old 05-26-2015, 07:56 AM

SueSew - I was considering putting the 50 stars in a row all along the top of the wall. Probably do them in groups of 5, so it' would be 10 sets, like table runners. It really needs some sound deafening in there! Hmm - that reminds me to put "curtain rods" on my list for when we go to the Twin Cities in a few weeks - I love one of the systems Ikea has where you put rings with clips to hang the curtain from. Makes it real easy for hanging quilts and I plan on putting two rows of them, I can tuck the upper quilts (on the slant) behind the second, lower bar to hold them in place.
Old 05-29-2015, 06:21 AM

it is looking fabulous. love it.