Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Should I add more quilting?  Looking for suggestions. >
  • Should I add more quilting? Looking for suggestions.

• Should I add more quilting? Looking for suggestions.

Old 08-15-2015, 10:24 AM
    Power Poster

Are you sure the batting says that an 8" span is needed or is 8" the maximum span the batting will support? I bet it's the latter. As long as you ditched around the circle in the center of the block, then you meet the requirements. If you only ditchied the sashing, that would probably not be enough. However, I would not do any stitching beyond sashing and the center ovals. It is very pretty and will be loved, I'm sure.
    Old 08-15-2015, 10:44 AM

I like it just the way you have it.
    Old 08-15-2015, 10:45 AM

However you decide to quilt it, it will be loved as it is adorable
    Old 08-15-2015, 11:48 AM

Originally Posted by MadQuilter
    Are you sure the batting says that an 8" span is needed or is 8" the maximum span the batting will support? I bet it's the latter. As long as you ditched around the circle in the center of the block, then you meet the requirements. If you only ditchied the sashing, that would probably not be enough. However, I would not do any stitching beyond sashing and the center ovals. It is very pretty and will be loved, I'm sure.

I agree. However, if you felt like more stitching, you could do a couple of wide echos of the ovals.
    Old 08-15-2015, 12:48 PM

Considering the hard use - lots of washing and drying - that your darling quilt will get, I would add more quilting. I always seem to quilt baby quilts a lot, just to keep the batting in place and keep everything together well.
    Old 08-15-2015, 01:34 PM

Your quilt is so cute and will be loved, for sure. Since you asked, I would prefer a large meander in the blocks, around the applique, not through it. I think it helps the applique stand out and adds a little more definition to a quilt. A large meander with not keep your quilt from being cuddly.
    Old 08-15-2015, 01:40 PM

It's fine as is, but if it were me, I'd definitely add more quilting so it will hold up better in the wash. I've done quilts both ways & after a couple of washes, they're both very cuddly ... even if the ones with denser quilting do look flatter.

I'd put an angular stipple around the trucks & then straight line quilt the edges of the piano key print in sashing.
    Old 08-15-2015, 02:10 PM

If it were mine, I'd do LARGE stippling around each applique in whatever color the background is. Then I'd put a 'wheel' in the sashing corner squares in some bright cheery color.
    In the sashing I'd use white and frame each color stripe.
    But that's just me!

(now off to read what everyone else said, I didn't want the posts to influence what I originally thought)
    Old 08-15-2015, 07:15 PM

Originally Posted by ManiacQuilter2
    I don't prefer heavily quilting but did you SITD outlining the oval around with the equipment? You might just echo once around those ovals about about 1/2" or 3/4".
    Great idea--while I'm sure you don't want too intensive of quilting, so that it stays "softer", remember that baby quilts tend to be washed much more often so you also want to have enough quilting that keeps it from doing and shifting and pulling apart the bat--just a wee bit more needed!
    Old 08-15-2015, 07:29 PM

Originally Posted by ManiacQuilter2
    I don't prefer heavily quilting but did you SITD outlining the oval around with the equipment? You might just echo once around those ovals about about 1/2" or 3/4".
    This was what I was thinking. Just go around each oval if you think you need a little more. I also prefer light quilting but going around the ovals will not add to much more.