Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Question for Die Cutter Users >

Question for Die Cutter Users

Question for Die Cutter Users

Old 09-17-2015, 03:30 AM

I have the Go and use it all the time. I actually think I have to replace one of my strip dies because I have worn it out!! Well worth the money in my book!
Old 09-17-2015, 03:52 AM

I have a GO and my 2 1/2 strip die buckled. I contacted the company and they would not replace it. I did not have it very long and had only used it a couple of times. For the price I would not buy a Go again.
Old 09-17-2015, 04:01 AM

If all you do it strips...then u may not want/need the accuquilt system.
But I love mine...have all kinds of dies but then you have to remember if you do lots of appliqué that those have to be sewed down before you can quilt over them. I think my cost of them has been worth it compared to time, accuracy involved in it.
Old 09-17-2015, 04:08 AM

I have the Sizzix Bigshot and love love love it!! I can't cut a straight line no matter how careful I am with the ruler and rotary cutter. I have strip dies that can be used not only to make strips but also to make squares and diamonds just by placing the fabric once cut into strips at various angles. I also have some appliqué dies, square and triangle ones too. I love it and for me it was well worth the expense as I am not wasting fabric with all my miscut.
Old 09-17-2015, 04:25 AM

I love my Go. I only have a few dies. My favorites are the strip cutters which you can also cut squares or diamonds with. Then I also bought the Drunkards Path die and the hexie die. I couldn't imagine cutting and matching all those curves without it.
Old 09-17-2015, 04:47 AM

I have a die cutting system made by Sizzix and use the Fabi dies.Was worth every penny to me. I have arthritis and a torn rotary cuff and I can still cut out my quilting pieces in spite of my handicap.It took me about a year to get my collection of the dies ,I only bought them when they were on sale and used my 40% off coupons @ Hobby Lobby. It cuts a layer of 8 at a time and very accurate.
Old 09-17-2015, 05:03 AM

I bought 3 large black trash bags full of scrap fabric with each piece larger than 5" at a yard sale. So the die cutters work for my scraps. However, I do not use them for my regular fabric. I have the June Taylor in two sizes and I love them. I find that there is a great deal of waste and pieces of fabric that are not the size I wanted. I guess I put them in the GO wrong and they come out 1/4" too small, still ok to use, but not in the project I wanted. The mats wear out on the GO and you do have to keep buying them for the dies that you use the most. I just bought a die that will be very easy to use with my charm squares and I think specialty dies work great. I think it has to do more with the types of quilts you use, how accurately you cut with a rotary cutter, your physical health and whether you mind the waste of fabric. You still have to cut fabric to fit it in the GO.
Old 09-17-2015, 05:13 AM

My daughter and I share an AccuCut Grande Mark, and we love it. She paper crafts and I sew. I have tried all the tips and gides for cutting straight, but nothing comes near my die cutter. It has more than paid for itself.
Old 09-17-2015, 05:34 AM

I have a Baby Go and its OK but the dies are so expensive. I'm thinking of buying the Brother ScanNCut. Anything you can scan it will cut. No dies to buy. comes with nearly a thousand designs built -in including over 100 quilt blocks. Even draws the stitching lines on the pieces. Do any of you have one and if so which model and how do you like it?
Old 09-17-2015, 06:34 AM

I now have the electric GO Big. I had the GO for years. I didn't have any problems with the GO. I just decided I needed (wanted) the electric one. I have never regretted buying my GOs. My cutting time is so much faster and the accurate cuts make the sewing so much easier and faster, too. I think the strip dies are the "bread and butter" dies. You can cut strips, squares and diamonds with them. I also like cutting my binding strips with usually just one pass through my GO Big. The Winding Ways and the Hunter's Star dies are literally to die for if you want to make these quilts.