Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Any new ideas for next Christmas? >

Any new ideas for next Christmas?

Any new ideas for next Christmas?

Old 01-05-2016, 08:06 AM
Power Poster

Not thinking about Christmas for awhile. Concentrating on getting organized.
Old 01-05-2016, 08:51 AM

I just did a folded star hot pad with Christmas fabrics I had on had using the moda bakeshop tutorial. Plan to do more in various color ways. Did mine round although she shows how to do it square as well. Might also make some pillows using this design.
Old 01-05-2016, 11:02 AM
Power Poster

At the moment, I haven't even begun to think of ideas for Christmas. Last year I suffered with right shoulder pain, which I thought had been resolved when I had surgery for a torn rotator cuff. However, a few months after surgery, the pain began again to the point where my Dr. voluntarily increased my pain meds, just before my total shoulder replacement. He told me after the surgery that not only had I torn out the previous rotator cuff repair, I somehow managed to tear out the remaining rotator cuff, which explained the extreme pain I had been dealing with. Through al this, I somehow managed to complete the top for our family reunion quilt in July, sending it to my niece to do the long arm quilting on it so it would be ready. I am so glad I had the shoulder replaced, as I have almost 100% mobility again and no pain. Then 3 months later I had 3 falls within 24 hours; followed by hospitalization and rehab; only to come home and the next day have 3 falls in 24 hours with another hospitalization and rehab. Fortunately, I have been able to get some "balance" in my life with a walker, but I am walking every day now and finally able to resume sewing and quilting. In the next few months I have 4 baby quilts to make, a king size quilt for my DS and DDIL, today I just received the kit for the 2015 Jinny Beyer BOM on Craftsy, plus I need to make a queen size quilt for a dear friend who bartered with me her daughter's American Girl Doll, clothing, accessories, a brass bed, wooden cradle and wardrobe, etc., all of which her daughter no longer wanted; so I really need to make her one beautiful quilt for that amazing gift, oh, plus about 40 various Barbie dolls, which I hope to give to some children's organization so they can enjoy them as well as my 5 year old DGD. Other than that I have nothing planned for 2016. LOL. Happy New Year.
Old 01-05-2016, 11:13 AM

I have found beautifull projects on Pinterest, you can make them throughout the year so there is no rush. They have beautifull things in felt which is so lovely to work with. Just "Google" Christmas Felt Crafts.
Old 01-05-2016, 12:43 PM

Originally Posted by equigle5 View Post
I wanted to learn how to make Yo Yos and a friend found a cute quilt made of them. It looks candy cane like. So I learned and now I am working on the candy cane type quilt and want to work on christmas trees also. I didn't have a "hand work" project so now I do. Having fun making yo yo's
The name of the pattern, please. Sounds cute.
Old 01-05-2016, 12:45 PM

Originally Posted by joyce888 View Post
I bought two Christmas panels that I plan to make into two quilts. The panel has a country feel with a white Adirondack chair, white ice skates, and red poinsettias on it. Thinking of surrounding the panel with log cabin blocks from coordinating fabrics.
What is the name of the panel, please. Sounds neat, as I have a friend who loves adirondack chairs.. Thanks
Old 01-05-2016, 12:49 PM

Nikki - love the idea! Will start saving material after the holidays.
Old 01-05-2016, 12:53 PM

Originally Posted by MargeD View Post
At the moment, I haven't even begun to think of ideas for Christmas. Last year I suffered with right shoulder pain, which I thought had been resolved when I had surgery for a torn rotator cuff. However, a few months after surgery, the pain began again to the point where my Dr. voluntarily increased my pain meds, just before my total shoulder replacement. He told me after the surgery that not only had I torn out the previous rotator cuff repair, I somehow managed to tear out the remaining rotator cuff, which explained the extreme pain I had been dealing with. Through al this, I somehow managed to complete the top for our family reunion quilt in July, sending it to my niece to do the long arm quilting on it so it would be ready. I am so glad I had the shoulder replaced, as I have almost 100% mobility again and no pain. Then 3 months later I had 3 falls within 24 hours; followed by hospitalization and rehab; only to come home and the next day have 3 falls in 24 hours with another hospitalization and rehab. Fortunately, I have been able to get some "balance" in my life with a walker, but I am walking every day now and finally able to resume sewing and quilting. In the next few months I have 4 baby quilts to make, a king size quilt for my DS and DDIL, today I just received the kit for the 2015 Jinny Beyer BOM on Craftsy, plus I need to make a queen size quilt for a dear friend who bartered with me her daughter's American Girl Doll, clothing, accessories, a brass bed, wooden cradle and wardrobe, etc., all of which her daughter no longer wanted; so I really need to make her one beautiful quilt for that amazing gift, oh, plus about 40 various Barbie dolls, which I hope to give to some children's organization so they can enjoy them as well as my 5 year old DGD. Other than that I have nothing planned for 2016. LOL. Happy New Year.
I am exhausted just reading all that you plan to do.
Old 01-05-2016, 12:59 PM

I also made my great-niece - she was born on my birthday - a quick gift two years ago. She was taking ballet/dance lessons. I had a little piece of ballerina fabric and made her a little pillowcase for the travel size pillow. We were invited to her birthday party. So, stopped at WalMart and bought another travel pillow on the way to the party. The next year she was into "FROZEN", the movie, and I had a piece of FROZEN fabric so made her another pillow case and gave it to her, along with another gift, and before we left her house that night, she had gone into her bedroom and brought down her ballerina pillow and was changing it to the FROZEN pillow case. Her mother said she takes her little pillow with her in their car and takes naps with it! She just got a pony, so will be looking for pony fabric for her birthday this year!

Originally Posted by Pete View Post
Nikki - love the idea! Will start saving material after the holidays.
Old 01-05-2016, 10:08 PM

My first goal is to find all of my Christmas fabrics (I have a lot of boxes in the garage). I think I will make some pillow cases and use them to wrap Christmas gifts next year so the kids can have them for their beds. I may also make some bags for Christmas presents (I had a heck of a time this year finding bags for some of the gifts).