Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Using Quilts with cats in the house >
  • Using Quilts with cats in the house

• Using Quilts with cats in the house

Old 06-06-2016, 09:49 AM
    Power Poster

I have had 4 cats declawed and would not have them inside without it. Years ago my two cats were not declawed and ruint a couch and stair carpet. A little kitty just found me and when he is neutered he will also be declawed. Their feet look the same and work the same, they just cannot tear up anything.
    Old 06-06-2016, 10:39 AM

If you think declawing is okay, then amputate your own fingers to the first bone and see how it feels. JUst sayin" AND walk on them........
    Old 06-06-2016, 10:50 AM

Put a flannel back table cloth over bed when you are gone. Cats don't like to walk on them
    Old 06-06-2016, 11:24 AM

I have my cat because I love it and it gives me enjoyment. In return I take care of it the best way I know how. Certainly, it is not okay for a pet to destroy furnishings, but I have found that if I provide a cat tree and a scratching post, they don't have to scratch other things. Cats do have to scratch--so they need something to scratch on. It may take a little trial and error to find what works. There is no reason to mutilate a cat. It is against the law in England to declaw a cat. Many vets in the USA will not declaw a cat on humane grounds. Others will do it for the business.
    Old 06-06-2016, 12:14 PM

The most effective approach I have found to our cats kneading/or sloughing (pronounced "sluffing") off old claws is a small spray bottle filled with water. It is absolutely harmless to cats. Ours do not like the fine mist of water and stop clawing immediately. It only took 2 sprays for them to get the idea. They do not claw anything now but I keep the little spray bottle nearby just in case! Good luck. This issue presents a real dilemma for cat lovers. Hope your friend finds something that works for her. Whatever...as lynnie says...DO NO HAVE YOUR CAT DECLAWED.
    Old 06-06-2016, 12:19 PM

Originally Posted by DOTTYMO
    I have 2 cats. One only comes in for food and is very good. The other is young 18 months and full of mischief. She has clawed wall paper and chairs. But never touched a quilt. I'd make a wall hanging.
    If your kitten will claw wall paper, it will also claw cardboard. I am on a fixed budget, so buying cat toys is not in the budget. I pick up an "Apple" size empty box, set it on end, pile some hard bound books in it for weight, turn the opening toward the wall, and my cat uses it instead of my furnishings. The paper shreds are easy to pick up before vacuuming. When the upper side gets too sredded for use, I just flip it to the unshredded end.
    Old 06-06-2016, 05:35 PM

Those caps only stay on until the cat figures out how to chew them off. Ask me how I know. Please do not declaw the cat. It changes their posture and creates spinal problems, among other things.
    My solution was to get a soft fleece blanket, fold it into fourths and put it on a corner of the bed. If the cat likes catnip, put a small amount on the fleece. Do that a few times and the cat will start going there. This worked well for me and should for your friend. My cat kneads that blanket like there's no tomorrow. She leaves the rest of the quilt on the bed alone. I do trim her claws. A vet wil show your friend how to do this.
    Edited to add: Put aluminum foil on places where you don't want the cat. Dresser tops, counters, etc. They don't like it at all...it works! After awhile, take off the aluminum foil to see if the cat will stay off the surface. If not...on goes the aluminum foil. I've had it on my dresser top for over 6 months. It's a good place to sit and survery the room, you know!

Last edited by coopah; 06-06-2016 at 05:40 PM.
    Old 06-07-2016, 03:09 AM

I have a kitty that loves to sit on my quilts, usually while I am trying to FM! But from time to time when I am making a quilt for some one who is allergic to cats I make sure I keep the cat away from the work. After I work on the quilt, I put it in a closet on the top shelf and close the door until I am ready to work on it again. Since I have now moved, I can close the door of my quilting room as well. Double ways to keep the cat off of my work. Perfect, solution now, I know that cat fur gets everywhere, but I sure can reduce the intensity.

For you quilting friend I suggest make a small quilt for the cat and sprinkle a very small amount of catnip on it. Then let the cat swoon while quilting.
    Old 06-07-2016, 03:11 AM

Originally Posted by Onebyone
    Doesn't anyone know about Soft Claws? They are safe and humane. No awful declawing. My vet won't declaw as most vets won't do that now. I used them on my indoor cat and it doesn't matter if the cat scratches or kneads or swipes. They come in different colors and look great on the cat's paws. You have to change then out when the claw grows long. That is very important. My cat was finicky about me trimming his paws but he didn't mind me doing the Soft Paws. They work great on dogs too.

http://www.softpaws.com/
    Never heard of this but it sounds terrific. I don't have cats (allergies) but know plenty of people who could benefit from this information.
    Old 06-07-2016, 05:43 AM
    Power Poster

Originally Posted by Jingle
    I have had 4 cats declawed and would not have them inside without it. Years ago my two cats were not declawed and ruint a couch and stair carpet. A little kitty just found me and when he is neutered he will also be declawed. Their feet look the same and work the same, they just cannot tear up anything.
    Where do you find a Vet that will declaw these days? It is a practice that is unacceptable for pets now.