Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • cutting out fabric for a project >
  • cutting out fabric for a project

• cutting out fabric for a project

Old 12-05-2016, 09:21 AM

I use a lot of precuts, because I cannot stand and cut but for a very few minutes. All the bending over my table is too painful for my spine. I have to wear a back brace in order to stand up. Neurosurgeon told me "Your spine is a twisted mess". So I am thankful for precuts, also they are color coordinated which is a big help.
    Old 12-05-2016, 09:27 AM

Won't sugar coat it.....I DESPISE cutting out the pieces!!! But, in life in general, I have learned that if I do the hardest or most dreaded thing first, everything after that will be fun because I won't be thinking about the hard thing I don't want to do and, in this way, I am far more apt to complete the project. So, yes, I do cut out all the pieces for a project first and label them.
    Old 12-05-2016, 11:15 AM

I don't mind the cutting too much. But sometimes I get real anxious to see what the block will look like so I cut for awhile and then I sew for awhile. Once thing I never do is cut out all pieces for the whole quilt.
    Old 12-05-2016, 11:56 AM

I HATE cutting out projects because I dither for hours about making that first cut. I fold and refold my material, I juggle the pieces to see if I can come up with a more efficient pattern placement. Once I start......it's done.
    Old 12-05-2016, 01:14 PM

I don't mind cutting at all. To me, it's part of the whole process. I do try read the directions carefully and cut the larger pieces first and move down the list until I am through. I have pizza boxes lined up for the project so I can double check myself--I'm always making some mind of mistake,it seems. I do cut all the pieces after I have made a trial block.
    Old 12-05-2016, 02:18 PM

Loved the cutting when I first began quiltmaking. Now I find it boring and tedious. But I don't cut everything at once. I cut enough for a few blocks, see how that sews up, and then cut as I go. It relieves the tedium -- if there is any -- to all the elements, cutting, piecing, etc.
    Old 12-05-2016, 02:24 PM

I really enjoy the cutting! Looks like I am with a few others in the minority here. I have always liked cutting and it is a task I do not dread! The part I dread is the basting, or preparing the sandwich to quilt. But even that is better now that I learned (from this Board) how to glue baste!
    Old 12-05-2016, 04:24 PM

After sitting down and thinking about it, I decided that I like all the steps. I get to play with my fabric and sew, and play with tools, and sew, and play with needle and thread, and sew. I have a cutting table that is a perfect height, but my kitchen counter is a second cutting surface so I can cut several things at a time. Each project has a dedicated box, so if I cut only a little at a time, it stays with the project (doesn't always get finished at once, but it IS together). I just like the WHOLE thing!!!!!!
    Old 12-05-2016, 06:24 PM

I HATE cutting too unless it's on my Go Big and then like another poster said I like to see my scraps turn into useble squares ready for stitching. Don't enjoy sandwiching either. Actually I really only like the sewing part. LOL
    Old 12-06-2016, 04:38 AM

I see advantages to Mama's Place's technique. I have cut quilts before and fussed with something that would have been much easier cut differently. Maybe next time, I'll follow her lead.