Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Accuquilt- Yay or Nay? >

Accuquilt- Yay or Nay?

Accuquilt- Yay or Nay?

Old 08-21-2017, 05:16 AM

I have and love the regular Go...yes, I would love to upgrade to the electric but I haven't decided to do that yet. I got mine basically to cut strips and I truly believe I got my money's worth with that. Of course I have now gotten more dies and really enjoy the ease of cutting. The crank doesn't bother me but I don't have pain issues so far.
Old 08-21-2017, 05:18 AM

Originally Posted by AUQuilter View Post
If you will use it often, allows you to spend time sewing sooner or makes it easier for you physically, then go for it. I am not sure about the GO products but the Accuquilt Studio is heavy to move around-think a portable sewing machine with case on it. If you have space, then you that is a non-issue. About 6 years ago when I lived in the Pittsburgh PA area, a couple of the quilt shops had Studio cutters for rent so I was able to actually use one. If you can find a shop that has one go for a test drive.
I think our JoAnns has one to rent or use.
Old 08-21-2017, 05:27 AM

I recently bought the Studio 2. I didn't know much about the cutters and asked for advice on the board. I worried about the cranking. Some people were raving about how good the electric model is, but after watching a number of videos, I decided that the speed of cranking was more to my own rhythm than waiting for the electric. My first problem was size. I bought the biggest and then had to deal with it. My DH stepped in and converted a rolling steel computer table that we no longer used into a cutting cart. Once that was done, I fell in love! This powerful machine cranks effortlessly even with 8-10 layers on the die. I ordered mine with 2 die bundles and 1 plastic bundle plus a couple of specialty dies. One thing I would caution you about is that some of the big dies are really heavy. The strip dies and other multiples can be a load to lift. I have each die stored flat-not stacked on my roomy cart and have found absolutely no other downside other than the weight of my biggest dies. My first week, I reduced several bags of scraps to useful precuts. I do not regret a single penny of my investment and do not regret going straight to the top of the line to get the commercial grade. I will try to attach a pic of my cart to give you an idea of how I have mine set up.
Attached Thumbnails cutter-stand.jpg  
Old 08-21-2017, 05:38 AM

Hi there, SusieQOH
I felt the same way wanted Accuquilt for long time and the cost I could not wrap my head around, what pushed me was I went to long standing retreat that I attend two times a year and one the ladies had one and I just watched her crank out those patterns, and this lady had at least 3 boxes of fabric that was given to her. After talking with her I said I am going to get one I purchased it on sale and picked up a few more dies with it, I did save it and it is the best I have even had custom die made for a project that I make many of. I purchased the GO
Old 08-21-2017, 05:42 AM

Hi, there Innov8R
Your DH is clever this is so cute congratulations I just like this idea, and I agree with you when it comes to purchasing what you want.
Old 08-21-2017, 06:48 AM

I bought one a few years ago and it really helps me. Last year before Christmas they had a 40% off sale on cubes and such. Made it more affordable and even the dies were 40 % off. It just depends on how much you will use one. I want to get the electric, if they have another 40% off I will. They will notify you if you sign up for email on their site.
Old 08-21-2017, 08:32 AM

Best thing I ever did, the accuracy alone is worth the initial cost. I had so much wasted fabric because my ruler slipped or I mis-measured. I buy dies one at a time when I need a particular size and when they go on sale. I use the triangle dies the most and the strip dies. There are many really helpful videos on youtube and sometimes I find good prices on dies on Ebay. Well worth the investment. I have the hand crank and find it very easy to turn, wish I could afford the electric model but am very happy with what I have
Old 08-21-2017, 09:57 AM

Originally Posted by sewbizgirl View Post
In retrospect, I'd rather have not bought one. I have the regular Go: The cranking will wear your elbow out! Once the dies get dull, you have tons of threads to clip. If you put too much fabric in them, the stack of fabric slides and your squares come out with curved edges. I've had this happen even with the recommended six layers. I would say, unless you are cutting kits in quantity, it's just not worth all that money to save a little bit of time in cutting.
Sewbiz, let me know if you ever decide to sell your dies because you don't care for them any longer
hehehe
red
Old 08-21-2017, 12:16 PM

I love my Studio cutter. I use it for myself and for cutting kits for Quilts of Valor. It is great for cutting lots pf pieces quickly. I had the original Go and Baby Go, then upgraded to the Studio. I would go to the Accuquilt and/or Accucut(sister website) and get on the mailing list. They have some really good sales a couple of times a year.

In addition, you can buy an adapter for the Sizzix dies on the Accucut Craft website that allows you to use the Sizzix dies on the Accuquilt/Accucut Craft machines. The GrandeMark 2 (Accucut) is the same as the Studio(Accuquilt). In fact, I just checked the Accucut Craft website and they are having a sale on the GrandeMark 2 right now(http://www.accucutcraft.com/grandema...g-machine.html). In addition, they offer free shipping if you order online.
Old 08-21-2017, 12:27 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Pennylane View Post
Hi Sue, Thank you for being so kind. And you're right the dies are very expensive. Actually, ours is the Accucut Die Cutting Machine. There is also a company called Accucquilt, owned by the same parent company. There is a website called lovebugstudios.com that can clarify it all if you are interested. Accucut actually is having a sale on them right now and you'd probably make out just as well. I think they even have a starter set to go with the purchase.
We love our doggy too
Thanks for the link, Pennylane and doggy!