Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Share your best pressing tip >

Share your best pressing tip

Share your best pressing tip

Old 02-05-2018, 09:15 PM

Thanks Jan of Va--great tip and totally makes sense. Just saw recently (where??) that best way to press open HST was to open with hands, press the two corners of the fold and then press with the point of iron, staying on the straight of grain. Said this would prevent that curve that sometimes develops on the seam when pressing and keeps block square. And it works!
Old 02-05-2018, 10:01 PM

I just recently purchased one of those wool ironing mats AND a clapper and use both together. I lay the mat on my ironing board. I just finished two quilts using BOTH of the items, holding the clapper in place about 20-30 seconds and the fabric is so flat. that you almost can't see where the seams are and looks like a cheater print. I am so happy that I invested in both those items and yes, they were spendy but probably the best items I have ever used in quilting. Oh, don't buy the small mat, you will be disappointed. Get the 17x24. Good Luck.
Old 02-06-2018, 04:51 AM

Originally Posted by EasyPeezy View Post
I wouldn't waste my money on Vodka or Best Press.
Cornstarch is so much cheaper and a lot more effective.
I don't get this. Do you dilute it in water? If so, what is the ratio? Can you put it in a spray bottle? Does it leave the fabric crisp?
Old 02-06-2018, 05:08 AM

technique from Sally Collins (expert on accuracy and piecing miniature quilts): Set the seam, then run your fingernail down it -- whether pressing to the side or pressing open -- place iron on and leave it for at least 10 seconds. Then leave it to cool w/o moving (I don't usually do this part!)

I've had much better blocks since adopting this technique
Old 02-06-2018, 05:12 AM

Originally Posted by Stitchnripper View Post
There is a product called “flatter” ( I am not associated with this company) that several of my quilty friends like. I have a wooden clapper for stubborn seams. Since I started pressing my seams open I have almost no issues. Of course I have t made a quilt with stars and that many intersecting seams.
The clapper works great and so does the ham, both used in garment sewing. I also like to starch my fabric but I let it set for a while so that the starch can absorb into the fabric before pressing.
Old 02-06-2018, 06:01 AM

My ironing board cover has ruler marks. I make sure the edge of my seams (before pressing) is lined up on a straight line. I press the seam closed and then open it and press
Old 02-06-2018, 06:56 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Peckish View Post
My best pressing tip? Don't press your binding in half.
I totally agree. Not only do you save a step, but I think my bindings look better. For seams, I use a clapper. I have several from my garment construction days. Same thing as the book the OP mentioned, but a tool made for this purpose and no binding to wreck with heat & steam.
Old 02-06-2018, 07:25 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by EasyPeezy View Post
I wouldn't waste my money on Vodka or Best Press.
Cornstarch is so much cheaper and a lot more effective.
I've tried all the homemade ironing sprays. The cornstarch one flakes and builds up on my iron. The vodka spray is the best for homemade that I have found. Have any of you found this little gem yet?

Flairosol Fine Mist Sprayer.
It is the best water sprayer I have found. It gives a fine mist, no drops at all. Perfect for pressing fabric and blocks. All beauty supply shops have some. There are different brands but I like Flairosol for the spray pattern. The bottom is thin and that surprised me at first but the quality is in the top sprayer.

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 07-21-2018 at 10:33 AM. Reason: remove copyright pic
Old 02-06-2018, 08:30 AM

I am struggling to learn to press and not iron my quilt blocks. I got some good tips here on how to improve. I think I have ruined many a good job of piecing by doing a poor job of pressing. I plan on checking out the clapper. I also plan to try pressing without steam, as RedGarnett222 suggests. I am working on MSQC's Missouri Star quilt. Not sure if the pressing issue is because I have bias issues, or I continue to do a poor job of pressing. The points and corners are all matching up nicely, but I have some extra fabric (stretched out) that is causing the blocks to not lay perfectly flat.
Old 02-06-2018, 10:40 AM

Originally Posted by Peckish View Post
My best pressing tip? Don't press your binding in half.
I am very curious about this tip. I need to know exactly what you mean, and what do you do instead? This would save me the worst part of binding because I like sewing it on the quilt, but I don't like the tedious pressing part. (and rolling it up as I press, etc. )