Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What I do with... >

What I do with...

What I do with...

Old 03-04-2010, 11:46 AM

I agree, garage/yard sales are awesome. I got a sewing basket for $3.00 once. Inside was a good pair of fiscars scizzors, 2 nice seam ripers, plus pins, a new pin cushion.
Thrift stores are great too. I watch for baby blankets and make lap quilts from the, for next to nothing.
I use toilet paper cardboard to wind my binding onto.
Old 03-04-2010, 11:51 AM

I posted an ad on my local Craigslist in the Wanted section and asked for fabric and quilting supplies. I have picked up some very nice pieces of fabric. I always bring my dog or my husband with me when I pick them up though.
Old 03-04-2010, 12:24 PM

Originally Posted by Debby Lu
I like scrap quilts so I go to yard sales and flea markets and buy gently used 100% cotton clothes really cheap. I don't usually spend more than 50 cents a piece and get a yard or two of fabric out of it.
I do that too...but most of what I buy is only 25 cents. I'm cheap.
Old 03-04-2010, 12:56 PM

I love scrap quilts too and I usually go to Alco to buy my material...they are pretty cheap.

These are all so wonderful ideas/tips too.
Old 03-04-2010, 01:05 PM

You sound like me. I bought a large black garbage bag full of "cloth scraps" at a garage sale for $2. There were 2 full size quilt tops in it and yards and yards of cotton fabric. Most pieces were 2 to 3 yards long. A few were only 1/2 a yard and some were 1 yard.

Craigslist is another good place to look. I found a lady one day that was selling all her quilting fabric for $1 a pound. It takes around 4 yard of fabric to make a pound. I spent $95 the first time and $37 the second. I've also found free fabric on there.
Old 03-04-2010, 01:07 PM

I pick up nice material at garage sales too. You would be surprised how many women buy nice cotton material to try their hand at quilting and soon put the whole batch in their garage sale. Thank you dear women. I too buy cotton dresses at garage sales. I once bought a maternity dress that had wonderful material and lots of yardage, my DH about had a heart attack until I told him I bought it for the material.
Old 03-04-2010, 03:05 PM

I am currently working on 3 baby blankets so I was extra jazzed to find queen size mattress pads at the thrift store this morning @ 2.00 each [these will be used instead of batting], assorted 1 yd fabric pieces for 1.00 each....now that was worth driving in the snow for, not to mention the free coupon I had for Starbucks...yep good morning and now I am sewing watching F & P....what more could a girl ask for? well alot but for now I am good...lol
Old 03-04-2010, 05:03 PM

I go to 2nd hand stores all the time,I found enough mens plaid shirts to make a rag quilt.And I also made a crazy quilt out of gowns and evening dresses for my neice when she got married.It was the talk of the party.all hand done
and hand quilted.nanamo
Old 03-04-2010, 06:00 PM

Your computer screen also makes a wonderful light box.
Old 03-04-2010, 06:03 PM

Originally Posted by raptureready
Your computer screen also makes a wonderful light box.
you, too? I thought that I was the ONLY one that did this.... thank heavens, I thought that I was losing it... :shock: :lol: