Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Should I take it all apart? >

Should I take it all apart?

Should I take it all apart?

Old 03-06-2010, 03:30 PM

Yes, keep it and you will have a wonderful way to see how far you have come when you make your next quilts. I still have my first quilt, made before I knew about 1/4 inch seams, how to bind, how to really press and piece. I love to use it as a touchstone.
Old 03-06-2010, 03:34 PM

I agree with evryone who says leave it be. Years ago someone had an "ugly quilt" contest, might it have Ami Sims? Can't remember. I saw it in a magazine & sent in a picture of one of my first quilts and won a certificate for making an ugly quilt, I was so happy to win a prize!! It was all done in fun & I can't remember whatever happen to that quilt, it could have been used as a murder weapon-I had certain colors in my mind & could only find those colors in twill! So I made the whole quilt top & back from twill, plus cotton batting-it weighed a ton, no way could anyone lay under it.
Old 03-06-2010, 04:39 PM

Move on there is so much fabric, patterns and ideas that you really do not need to obsess about an old quilt. Good luck with the next one.
Old 03-06-2010, 07:17 PM

No No No, love it, embrace it, I bet it brings a smile to your face when you look at it, show it off, make others smile, make new friends as a result, that first quilt is all you in all your creative glory as you ventured willingly and fearlessly into the unknown. keep it as it is and cherish it.
Old 03-06-2010, 09:39 PM

keep it and treasure it. Make sure you date it and then put it away for a bit, when you get it out most of the 'problems' will have gone!
Old 03-06-2010, 11:17 PM

I just finished one today where I was so frustrated I bagged it up, tied up the bag, and put it in the bottom of my most cluttered closet... I truly believe it was possessed! I'm moving on and going to do something fresh to gain my confidence back. Bottom line: keep it, ignore it for a while if you have to, but move forward.
Old 03-07-2010, 12:45 AM

I would just leave it...my first couple of quilts the blocks were sliding out of the frame...so to speak...
I love them now and so does my dear brother that got my first quilt....
perfection is overated....
Kirsten
Old 03-07-2010, 01:37 AM

I would keep it...but if you really like it, why not make another one very similar or the same?Then you will see how much better you have become!
Old 03-07-2010, 03:33 AM

Keep it, make a new top and back and use the "quilt" as batting. That way you still have it, but have it secretly hidden for all of eternity and only you know!

I am using a quilt right now that our daughter in law gave us for Christmas one year. I do not have the heart to toss it because it has been very much used. I have a new top made, have the backing and have some batting and will put it all together and make one big quilt. I saved it, I am still using it and the thoughtfulness of our daughter in law will always be a part of a quilt. Very simple, very easy. Edie
Old 03-07-2010, 04:59 AM

Dear CMinor
I am a newer quilter as well and I'm afraid I disagree with everyone - you sound as though you really love the look and idea of this quilt - although all the other comments about reminders of how you started, etc, are fine, I think you will be so excited with the chance to "start over" with the design and fabric you obviously love. Maybe you can turn on a movie or two or be a passenger on a long car ride and just rip those seams out mindlessly. The time will go by and then you'll feel renewed with the opportunity to do it the way you want to! You can even replace that stained white strip :)
It's an investment, but you'll love it even more when you get it done
Have fun -