Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Have you done this too? >

Have you done this too?

Have you done this too?

Old 03-20-2010, 04:30 PM
Google Goddess

Yes, I have done it also and had to rip some blocks out. I guess look 3 times to be sure it is ready to sew on correctly. It is easy to do and I blame it on me when I am tired.

We all learn from our mistakes!
Old 03-20-2010, 04:30 PM
Power Poster

Before I sew the rows together, I generally lay the pieces out and leave them for a bit. Next time I go look at the layout, I have a clear mind and I usually pick out the "odd ones."

If it is a directional top, I mark the sides of the rows that need to be sewn together. It is easier to check each set of rows than end up with a wrong row and the top done.

In the meantime, better make friends with your ripper.
Old 03-20-2010, 04:53 PM

Been there more times than I want to count!

Do use my low cost design wall - a flannel backed table cloth. Sew my blocks into strips then arrange the strips on the design wall. Helps me see things like that. But I'm still a pretty good ripper!
Old 03-20-2010, 05:25 PM

I do believe that my seam ripper is my best friend!! We dance quite often together... Penni
Old 03-20-2010, 05:34 PM

Do you use a quilting design board? This helps me although I have done the same thing, even with using it.
I made my own with a 4x8 insulation sheet and covered it with flannel. I cut it down to 48 x 60 now cause my storage area accomodates that size better.
Old 03-20-2010, 05:43 PM

how about putting a pin in the top of the block, or using a design board, taking them off one at a time..good luck
Old 03-20-2010, 05:45 PM

Thank you everyone for your 'yup been there stories'. I never knew before joining this group you could wear out a seam ripper.. yet have surely done it prior to this just didn't.. KNOW.. now I know I am not alone on goofy stuff like sewing blocks. egad ROWS upside down. I am thankful I did not quilt it and then notice it. I would never have been able to gift it then. I can go with slightly wobbly borders, binding, funky quilting even (this I do NOT enjoy) but an upside down ROW was more than even I could blow off.. besides mortification is a marvelous motivator. At least I know if I had gifted it to another quilter they would have smiled and maybe tsskk tsskk'ed but never tossed. Smooches to all of you.
Old 03-20-2010, 07:17 PM

Originally Posted by Boston1954
I have some plastic block markers that my sister gave me. I always pin them in the same place on the block. Upper left corner. If you had something like that, even a piece of paper, it might jump up at you and say "hey we should be in the other direction".
I so the exact same thing. I always double-check one more time when I sit down at the machine and get ready to sew. so far I haven't made a mistake.
Old 03-20-2010, 08:19 PM
Banned

sorry I cant help. Penny
Old 03-21-2010, 05:07 AM

Originally Posted by Angellight
My Maternal Grandmother always said, "To be a good sewer, you Have to be a good ripper." Over the many years I have been sewing, this has been true, much to my dismay. I also believe that every "mistake" I make is a Learning experience to shift to that memory bank and remember not to do again.
We all have made many of the mistakes people talk about, and once we have we have learned from them...
Happy day & happy ripping.
S
Love it. I may have to use your quote in my profile!