Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
holes in the quilt >

holes in the quilt

holes in the quilt

Old 05-25-2010, 03:14 PM

Just rewashed the quilt and more holes actually they are like small slices. I guess the pins must have done it. I am taking it to the quilt/fabric store tomorrow. thanks everyone
Old 05-25-2010, 03:29 PM

i had thaqt with fabric i purchased at wallmart one time .i used a fuse fabric and put it under the tear .than hand stiched with a smill thin needle you can'tmtell the tear is there unless you know it
Old 05-25-2010, 09:59 PM
Power Poster

Let us know what they say at the quilt store . I would be interested in what they think might have happened
Old 05-26-2010, 12:20 AM

Originally Posted by joyce Hildebrant
Just rewashed the quilt and more holes actually they are like small slices. I guess the pins must have done it. I am taking it to the quilt/fabric store tomorrow. thanks everyone
I can't imagine that pins would have caused small slices in brand new fabric. I just wonder "how long" your "new" fabric had been in storage... and what kind of storage???
Old 05-26-2010, 12:50 AM
Administrator

you would have to have been severely abusive to the quilt sandwich for anything you used or did to have caused that much damage. you would have noticed a problem while quilting it - long before it got that bad.

i hope the shop management will is willing to admit they were sold defective fabric. otherwise they may not take the time to complain to their supplier. it could happen to them again. and whatever happens to them happens to their customers.

defective fabric is the only logical explanation. you couldn't have done it, and they would never have knowingly sold you anything defective.
Old 05-26-2010, 01:47 PM

unless the safety pins being used actually pierce and tear a thread in the fabric weave, the holes made by the pins should reheal itself in washing. all the pins do when they go through fabric is move the weaved threads aside. rarely the tips actually catches a thread but even when it does that a good quality fabric's weave would still move back together. all right all you mystery lovers. here is one for you to solve. wouldn't this be a good addition to a quilting mystery novel?
Old 05-26-2010, 07:38 PM
Banned

I have no clue, but I would take it to were you bought the fabric, and just say look what happened to your fabric when you washed it. maybe they will give you in store credit, and take the fabric off the shelf so no one else buys it. Good luck and God bless. Penny
Old 05-26-2010, 10:14 PM

I found this wonderful product at PIQF (Pacific International Quilt Festival) a year ago. It's called 007 Bonding Agent. You can repair holes or fraying, etc with it. It is a iron type thing. They are crystals in a bottle that you use to bind up holes.

Here is the link to their website and they have a video you can watch.
http://www.bonash.com/

A year ago I made a log cabin quilt for my DH. After I had constructed the entire top, I noticed that one fabric was fraying at the edges. I hadn't even washed it or anything and some seams were frayed almost 1/8" in! I was sick because the only solution I could think of was to start all over.

I saw the 007 at PIQF and bought it. I got a good quality fabric and cut strips of 1/2" and used the bonding agent to bond them to the seams on the back of the quilt. It saved the quilt and I've had no problems with it!
Old 05-27-2010, 02:05 PM

very cute ! I put some pins in a scrap and moved them around bingo a small run or tear started. the fabric stores does not think it is the fault of the fabric.
Old 05-27-2010, 03:37 PM
Power Poster

There are so many that use the safety pins that if this was a common problem I think we would know . I just don't think the pics would do it unless they are man handled. Sorry you didn't get any answers. Can you post a pic maybe ?