Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Tutorials
How to make the Northern Lights quilt >

How to make the Northern Lights quilt

How to make the Northern Lights quilt

Old 05-26-2010, 04:59 AM

Now I have my 4 Nine Patches and my 4 Unit 1's done. I lay it all out as pictured, then sew the left and middle together, then add the right side. Then just sew the 3 rows together and Voila! the block will be finished!

All the pieces laid out to sew together.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]73739[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-73734.jpe  
Old 05-26-2010, 05:07 AM

That's gorgeous. Love the colors of your block, they appear vibrant. This is a great one.
Old 05-26-2010, 05:18 AM

Originally Posted by chickadee_42us
That's gorgeous. Love the colors of your block, they appear vibrant. This is a great one.
Thank you! I think so too. It is my favorite block so far.
Old 05-26-2010, 05:48 AM

Alright! Here is the completed Star Block. I have to make one more Star before I can make the Chain block. As usual, the picture looks completely different when I use Auto and then use Daylight. Here is a picture from each setting again. Talk to you later. I better clean house now. LOL

OH, BTW, the Daylight setting is the closest to the correct colors. I love this block. I love the colors. The Auto setting seems to give everything a blue tint. Does anyone know about cameras? lol just kidding.

This is the Beautiful Star Block which was taken on the Daylight setting to capture it's gorgeous colors. 5-26-10
[ATTACH=CONFIG]73743[/ATTACH]

Same block on Auto setting Doesn't show the correct colors for some reason.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]73744[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-73738.jpe   attachment-73739.jpe  
Old 05-26-2010, 05:58 AM

A funny thing happened when I went back to this post. The first time, I didn't get the last 2 pictures, so I went back and clicked on the link again and got one picture, then went back and did it again, and got both pictures. Looking at the floor colors, you can see how the floor color is even washed out in the second picture. Something to remember when taking pictures. Both pictures show a beautiful block. Thanks for all of the work in sharing this quilt with us.
Old 05-26-2010, 06:13 AM

Originally Posted by Janis
A funny thing happened when I went back to this post. The first time, I didn't get the last 2 pictures, so I went back and clicked on the link again and got one picture, then went back and did it again, and got both pictures. Looking at the floor colors, you can see how the floor color is even washed out in the second picture. Something to remember when taking pictures. Both pictures show a beautiful block. Thanks for all of the work in sharing this quilt with us.
Probably because you happened to log into this thread at the same time that Danmar was uploading her next installment <g> ain't computering fun!?!?! LOL

I LOVE your color choices, Danmar .. rich and bold - - that is sooo fine!
Am loving this tutorial <wave>
Old 05-26-2010, 06:21 AM
Power Poster

Your colors are beautiful together :thumbup:
Old 05-26-2010, 06:25 AM

Originally Posted by omak
Originally Posted by Janis
Probably because you happened to log into this thread at the same time that Danmar was uploading her next installment <g> ain't computering fun!?!?! LOL

I LOVE your color choices, Danmar .. rich and bold - - that is sooo fine!
Am loving this tutorial <wave>
Hi Janis and Omak!
That is what I was thinking Omak. Janis must have come along while I was uploading the pictures. I always think about that, if someone will look before I get the pictures uploaded. Then, one night it happened. Someone saw my post, no pictures which were suppose to be there, and posted or PM'd me (I don't remember which) and asked if I forgot them? It was funny!

I am glad that you are loving this tutorial. It is fun making it. And you are quite welcome for the 'work' I do to put it online.
It's not work to me though. I love it. I like to share, to help other people, and show everyone how to do things. Doing tutorials is right up my alley! LOL OK--I'm done.

Thanks again for all of your interest, compliments and comments. It really is appreciated and let's me know that you people out there also appreciate it.
Marilyn
Old 05-26-2010, 06:32 AM

I think one of the things you did was to give us a heads up by posting a link to the next tutorial on the last one you did, if I remember correctly.
It was so cool!
I was watching this beautiful bargello and the finale and then you started the next one and linked from the bargello to this one! I was able to just click on that link and click on "watch" and when you got to all the work, I got the notifications - - such a big help and encouragement.

Something I was thinking about <g> Cutebuns did a mystery quilt in a day ... I can't remember how many of us there were, but she was right there to post pictures on the hour, and then she answered any questions ... what an amazing process.
I may have to post that link so that you can go from here to there ... what made me think about her mystery quilt was this tutorial reminded me of a mystery quilt.
It is quite a challenge for the "audience" to do something besides just read the pages and look at the pictures! LOL
at any rate .... either way, you are creating a beautiful quilt and are such an encouragement to the rest of us <wave>
Old 05-26-2010, 06:33 AM

http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-24486-1.htm

This is the mystery quilt I was talking about - - a mini by cutebuns...<wave>