Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • So Discouraged.. >
  • So Discouraged..

• So Discouraged..

Old 05-28-2010, 01:52 PM

Make sure that your quilt is totally supported and not causing a drag on the needle, that causes problems too.
    Use a machine quilting needle(90/14) and see if that helps and don't try to sew too fast, go slow around curves too.
    I was having all sorts of tension problems with my machine and it was operator error, I'd not gotten the thread through the bobbin case right. (sigh and rip out)
    Sharon W. in Texas
    Old 05-29-2010, 04:26 AM

Originally Posted by Marjpf
    I did the same thing with the new long arm. I practiced through 4 yards of fabric and everything was fine. Loaded up the first quilt and the back was so covered with eyelashes it was positively fuzzy. I learned to do about two inches then stop and check everything.
    Stay with it, be patient, check often. It will all come together.
    How do you check it if it is on the frame? That is my scary moment that I will do the whole quilt and I wont know who bad it is till the end.
    Old 05-29-2010, 07:37 AM

Originally Posted by GrammaNan
    I practiced my machine quilting for hours. I finally became confident enough to try it on a twin sized quilt. I practiced one more time before I started and everything looked good. I started quilting. I was about 1/4 the way through, turned the quilt over and the tension was loose underneath! I broke my machine trying to fix the tension.... The quilt was supposed to be a gift to be delivered this Monday. I don't want to give it to anyone now. I will never think it will be good enough to give as a present. I am so discouraged right now, I am really down on myself and I need some encouragement.
    I thought this would cheer you up!

:mrgreen: :XD:
    Attached Thumbnails attachment-75293.jpe  
    Old 05-29-2010, 08:13 AM

I am thrilled with all of the encouragement and the stories of other quilters going through similar frustration. I followed all of the suggestions and am now able to quilt without trouble. I found that turning my thread spool with the thread coming from the front of the spool instead of the back made the most difference. I have no clue why. I have a few eyelashes but I am going to ignore them. I am going to call it my "Damn it" quilt as I have unconsciously said it a hundred times, or so I have been told by my husband. Thank you everyone. As you can probably relate, the quilt was only the straw that broke the camel's back, I am juggling many issues right now. Your support and understanding means more to me than I can say.
    Old 05-29-2010, 08:15 AM
    Google Goddess

glad you are getting it worked out, have fun and we help each other, this is a great sharing quilting board site

Originally Posted by GrammaNan
    I am thrilled with all of the encouragement and the stories of other quilters going through similar frustration. I followed all of the suggestions and am now able to quilt without trouble. I found that turning my thread spool with the thread coming from the front of the spool instead of the back made the most difference. I have no clue why. I have a few eyelashes but I am going to ignore them. I am going to call it my "Damn it" quilt as I have unconsciously said it a hundred times, or so I have been told by my husband. Thank you everyone. As you can probably relate, the quilt was only the straw that broke the camel's back, I am juggling many issues right now. Your support and understanding means more to me than I can say.
    Old 05-29-2010, 09:41 AM

Gramma -

I just saw your thread for the first time today. I am one of the many who has had problems quilting. I did a huge practice piece and thought I had all the issues worked out. When I put the real quilt on, well, let's just say I'm glad noone can read my mind.

I'm glad you seem to have gotten past the problem. I have found the members of this board to be unbelievably supportive and helpful. Be sure to post a picture of your finished product.

Darren
    Old 05-29-2010, 04:51 PM

I have done that just the other day and I have been quilting for a long time - but something happened and I was just so discouraged too... but it will get better I call my quilt the albatross quilt - the pattern in the book gave you instructions to put the row with the flying geese going one way and when I went to sew the rows together the geese in the example for the whole quilt were flying the other way. I went and put it together anyway thought I would use it for myself in the living room - ran out backing 3/4 of the way through and then I must of hit the tension and it was all loopie on the back side.... I took it out - practiced again looked good - put the quilt back on an low and behold it was loopie on the back again.... So, I feel your pain and fustration but it happens to everyone....
    Old 05-29-2010, 05:07 PM

I have had problems like this, also. Glad you found a solution! Great perseverence! Way to go :thumbup:
    Old 05-29-2010, 05:52 PM

I had this same problem and after trial and error, lots of ripping out and being frustrated, I realized that my problems were mainly caused by forgetting to drop the presser foot lever when I started FMQing. Now I double check and I have put sticky notes on the front of my machine to remind me. I don't know if this is what is happening to you but it might be of help.
    Old 05-29-2010, 06:33 PM

This was on a previous forum..and I've been sewing a long
    time, but never did "get" how to fix the tension.

How to take apart and clean the tension assembly on your machines...should work the same way for the vintage machines!

http://sharonschambernetwork.com/Cla...-Assembly.aspx