Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Are  you "cost-conscious, frugal, economical, or cheap"? >

Are you "cost-conscious, frugal, economical, or cheap"?

Are you "cost-conscious, frugal, economical, or cheap"?

Old 06-20-2010, 01:03 PM
Power Poster

Location: Murray, Ky. Looking for a nice cushy pillow to rest my head on!

Originally Posted by Moonpi
Depends on what we are talking about

Cost-conscious - I will drive on fumes if I know gasoline is cheaper a block away, but will not go across town to save a nickel a gallon

Frugal - I use up completely, repurpose, recycle, and try not to waste a thing. I do not require everything in my life to come to me shiny and new, encased in superfluous plastic. My Yankee upbringing ;-)

Economical - for most things. When I am in a position to stock up on staples like toilet paper, trash bags, and such, I get bargains so I will not have to pay full price later. My online purchases usually fit in this category.

Cheap - the local dollar store has plenty of things that are "good enough" for me. I seldom buy household cleansers anywhere else. I cannot see paying 4-5 bucks for something, when the dollar version does the job.
Now when it is put this way it totally fits me.
Old 06-20-2010, 01:39 PM

All of the above.

I am cost-conscious when buying fabric. I will buy it on sale and on clearance, which leaves me an eclectic stash. I only buy fabric at $5 a yard or less, preferably less.

frugal- I am frugal in buying groceries. I either make everything from scratch, or I go the other way and buy the Stouffer's Easy Meals in the freezer section. With a coupon, those are $3 for dinner for 2, including meat, starch and green veggies. If we eat out, we order something I don't fix at home. Never pay more than $10 per person and that is the exception. I live in a small town and we have lots of 2 for 1 coupons mailed out. I can often feed dh and self supper for $5 or less, with no cooking! :lol:

economical - We only have two luxuries we purchase - internet and cable tv. We live in the country and are limited to 1 of 2 carriers, so I pay $75 per month for each. Would pay less but there are no other options.

cheap - I go to Dollar Tree for my decorations, cleansers, sponges, plasticware and gift wrap. Cards, too.

Careful- I take over 14 prescriptions so I call every drug store in the area every month to compare prices. It is amazing that one will charge $40 for another's $4. Also, dh has a very expensive prescription that costs $165 per mo in the US, but $28.95 for the same prescription made in India. I pay $10 for shipping, and it takes 21 days to get here.

Free- I take as much as given, if I will use it or know of someone who will. I don't hoard.

Clothing - I buy all my clothing used (except underwear) from E-bay. I wear a 4x and ebay has a great variety. I usually buy 3-4 outfits per summer/winter.

My dh likes to wear his college themed sport shirts (Go Auburn!). I buy all of them on ebay, used. Usually for under $5 for $50 shirts.
Old 06-20-2010, 02:29 PM

Originally Posted by Moonpi
Depends on what we are talking about

Cost-conscious - I will drive on fumes if I know gasoline is cheaper a block away, but will not go across town to save a nickel a gallon

Frugal - I use up completely, repurpose, recycle, and try not to waste a thing. I do not require everything in my life to come to me shiny and new, encased in superfluous plastic. My Yankee upbringing ;-)

Economical - for most things. When I am in a position to stock up on staples like toilet paper, trash bags, and such, I get bargains so I will not have to pay full price later. My online purchases usually fit in this category.

Cheap - the local dollar store has plenty of things that are "good enough" for me. I seldom buy household cleansers anywhere else. I cannot see paying 4-5 bucks for something, when the dollar version does the job.
I'm the same. :thumbup:
Old 06-20-2010, 02:47 PM

First 3 definitely!! Cheap no. Ask my DH! :lol: :lol:
Old 06-20-2010, 04:07 PM

I buy what I can afford and I like to be careful about what I spend. I try not to waste and to give to others as much as possible. I am not cheap..which to me has a very bad connotation. I like frugal and economical.

Margie
Old 06-20-2010, 04:50 PM

yes :)
Old 06-20-2010, 05:25 PM
Power Poster

Location: Murray, Ky. Looking for a nice cushy pillow to rest my head on!

Ok I am not cheap but I have to be extremely frugal. Only buy what is nessecary (?). Except at tax time, that is when I go buy what we need like clothes and I stock up on house hold supplies. That is also when I go buy what fabric I have been wanting. Frankly it gets tiring sometimes.
Old 06-20-2010, 08:05 PM
Power Poster

I agree. I'm all four. It depends on the day and what we are talking about.
Old 06-20-2010, 08:07 PM

only because i don't have any money lol
Old 06-20-2010, 08:08 PM
Power Poster

"thrifty" was one of the words I wanted to use - but I didn't think of it at the time.

I like "thrifty" -