Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Thangles >

Thangles

Thangles

Old 06-30-2010, 05:01 AM

When I use Thangles, I shorten the stitch length and use my "tie" feature at each end of the line of stitching or I simply sew a few stitches, reverse and then sew again. That way when I tear off the paper, the first few stitches on each end of the stitchig line won't pull out when I tear away the paper. I use Thangles a lot.
Old 06-30-2010, 05:02 AM

Nancy's Notions has something similar, and they're called
triangle tiger tape. I've used them, and they are wonderful,
especially for a beginner.
Old 06-30-2010, 05:22 AM

I am using them for a pinwheel quilt in 30's fabric and really do like them. The pinwheels seem to just lay together nicely.
Old 06-30-2010, 05:41 AM

it sounds like everyone has tried most of the methods here...Thangles, Triangle Paper, Triangulations. ALL very interesting possibilities! I *heart* things that make my piecing more accurate, so I am a pretty big fan. I did a bear paw with triangle paper and though I am not a fan of tearing off the paper (and the mess that makes) it sure came out perfectly.

Aside from accuracy, the main advantage to the Thangles is that you are cutting your fabric into STRIPS which are usually an even size (such as 2 1/2 inches) rather than cutting squares and triagles which are odd sizes (such as 2 7/8 inches)

And I find the main difference is that Thangles uses strips, triangle paper uses pieces of fabric (such as a fat quarter), and then you rotary cut on the lines on the paper to cut into your HST's.

Triangulations (CD ROM) is for those of us (like me) who live in the middle of nowhere and can't run to a shop to find just the right Thangles if you run out or Triangle paper. A package of triangle paper does last a good long while, but you never know... All you do with Triangulations is load the CD into your computer, load the paper you want to use into your printer, and print as many as you need forever and ever and ever. Way convenient, economical and LOVE IT!

I have found a web site that allows you to print HST papers on your computer. Good for trying it out and a small project. If you use this be very careful that when you print, you have set your print options to none rather than "scaling to fit" or a percentage other than 100%, or the printed sheets will be ever so slightly off and you will not get the right size. [ask me how I know this! :cry:] Be sure the reference square on the printed sheet measures 1" x 1"!!

If you want to give the technique a try, have a go at it:
http://www.quiltingandwhatnot.ca/Hal...-Triangle.html

Have a beautiful day!
Old 06-30-2010, 05:52 AM

I've enjoyed reading everyone's comments. I have used Thangles for years, but not all the time. If a pattern calls for them, fine - otherwise another method works too. It's very easy off the paper when you shorten your stitch length slightly. This tightens the stitch making it easier to tear w/out a problem.
One thing that is a little disconcerting is hearing people say they copy them. *(Thangles, not the ones that you are permitted to copy) Copying Thangles is a violation of copyright - & while I know it saves a heck of a lot of $$, it is how a person makes their living. I have met Patrick & his wife (who designed them) & they are wonderful, honest people that only want to help people quilt easier & better. If you can't afford buying more, maybe switch to the Triangulations, or which ever brand allows copying. Not trying to be the quilt police (there aren't any!!), just want everyone to do the right thing.
Old 06-30-2010, 06:12 AM

Originally Posted by montanablu
One thing that is a little disconcerting is hearing people say they copy them. *(Thangles, not the ones that you are permitted to copy) Copying Thangles is a violation of copyright - & while I know it saves a heck of a lot of $$, it is how a person makes their living. I have met Patrick & his wife (who designed them) & they are wonderful, honest people that only want to help people quilt easier & better. If you can't afford buying more, maybe switch to the Triangulations, or which ever brand allows copying. Not trying to be the quilt police (there aren't any!!), just want everyone to do the right thing.
thank you for mentioning that. i agree and think it is an important point to make.
Old 06-30-2010, 06:47 AM

Shelbie, I think the site you are referring to is INKLINGO. Check it out. You can actually print on your fabric using freezer paper to go through your printer.
Old 06-30-2010, 06:49 AM

They don't make any sense to me. Anything you can do with a Thangle you can do without one. Extra money and extra time pulling them off. I prefer not to use them.
Old 06-30-2010, 07:00 AM

There is a new triangle product called Ta-Da Triangles
No paper to remove. Printed on interfacing and fat quarter friendly.
This is my favorite way.
Old 06-30-2010, 07:02 AM

If you cut your fabric and freezer paper into letter sized pieces and iron the right side of the fabric to your freezer paper. You can print the thangles on the back of your fabric. No paper to tear.

Originally Posted by peaceandjoy
Guess I'm in the minority... I hated them. Ripping that paper off was a PITA!