Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Which pattern for a first quilt? >

Which pattern for a first quilt?

Which pattern for a first quilt?

Old 07-24-2010, 08:15 AM

My LQS (Happiness is Quilting in Mckinney TX)has a beginning class and the piece they were using is a pattern you can buy that had strips alternating with rows like flying geese, nine patch and other things. Go their website: happinessisquilting.com and they may have a sample in the class section. Good luck
Old 07-24-2010, 08:57 AM

I would suggest nine patch or log cabin, easy patterns and no true layout pattern, just put them the way you like.
Old 07-24-2010, 10:36 AM

Our beginner class was a Rail Fence, and it does teach some good basics, but is also forgiving when you put it together. Turning Twenty, Yellow Brick Road, and D9P are also great suggestions.

Darren
Old 07-24-2010, 10:43 AM

Hello Audrey, No advice just comment, My mothe who just passed from cancer in March was also named Audrey and when I saw your name on the board It just brightened my day! She was the youngest of 6 children and the secound to pass away. My Aunt who was like my secound mother passed away first her name was Ethel. You have the best name ever and I am so grateful for you to be on the board. Have a wonderful Day! Ms. Shawn :mrgreen: :-o :thumbup: :XD: :wink: :lol:
Old 07-24-2010, 01:23 PM

I LOVE your quilt! It looks line a 9-patch and a rail fence. I think I could figure it out, but if you are willing to send the pattern it would save me some brain cells and some time.

I sent you a PM (I think) with my email address. I'm not too familiar with this site yet, so if you don't get my PM please let me know.

Thanks!!!!!
Old 07-24-2010, 01:24 PM

Originally Posted by catrancher
My first quilt was a nine-patch and rail set on point. I learned SO MUCH from just that one quilt. I especially liked it because it looked like a real quilt rather than something so simple I could make it without any instruction. By that I mean that a quilt made just from row upon row of 6-inch blocks is so simple a child could figure it out. When I finished this quilt, I had something I was really proud of. It was simple enough for a beginner to do a good job and have a nice quilt, but not so simple that it looked simple.

If you would like, I'd be happy to send you the instrucitons via email or snail mail. Credit to my quilt teacher Lorraine G. from the local community college.
I LOVE your quilt! It looks line a 9-patch and a rail fence. I think I could figure it out, but if you are willing to send the pattern it would save me some brain cells and some time.

I sent you a PM (I think) with my email address. I'm not too familiar with this site yet, so if you don't get my PM please let me know.

Thanks!!!!!
Old 07-24-2010, 01:26 PM

Originally Posted by Ms. Shawn
Hello Audrey, No advice just comment, My mothe who just passed from cancer in March was also named Audrey and when I saw your name on the board It just brightened my day! She was the youngest of 6 children and the secound to pass away. My Aunt who was like my secound mother passed away first her name was Ethel. You have the best name ever and I am so grateful for you to be on the board. Have a wonderful Day! Ms. Shawn :mrgreen: :-o :thumbup: :XD: :wink: :lol:
Sorry to hear about your mom. I've always enjoyed my name and have met very few other Audrey's. I'm glad I could brighten your day. You brightened mine, too.
Old 07-24-2010, 01:29 PM

Yellow Brick Road, Turrning Twenty, Nine Patch, Log Cabin.
Old 07-24-2010, 02:20 PM

Rail fence is a good starter. They get to pick fabric, learn how to rotary cut and use a design wall. And, of course, it's fun.
Old 07-24-2010, 03:17 PM

I wish I lived in Wichita Falls, TX!!!! Would love to take your class. Sounds like the new folks will have a great teacher. Good luck with it.