Black Walnut Trees

Old 09-02-2010, 05:56 AM

We have three and I HATE them. They make such a mess - I want them all gone!!!! This year we have almost NO walnuts though....I'm wondering if they cycle or if they didn't like the hot summer. Either way, I don't mind. They are the first trees to loose their leaves though.
Old 09-02-2010, 06:11 AM

They seem to be the last to put on leaves in the spring and the first to lose leaves in the fall. Drought will cause an early leaf drop also.
Old 09-02-2010, 07:52 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by LAB55
We have a few, the leaves are falling because of the extrem heat, the trees will loose leaves to conserve water. We are getting nuts & they are falling. Last year we didn't get too many. I use them for baking and we feed the squirrles during the winter with them, my husband cracks them for in the feeders. They came be messy if they are close to the house. We also have 3 very large oak trees that are raining down acorns, we gather them for the deer during the winter also, they love them when sprouting.
You are so generous- if I come over will you make me a cake?? It's my favorite dessert ha ha ha :D
Old 09-02-2010, 08:49 AM

Originally Posted by stitchinwitch
Do any of you have black walnut trees? Do they look SICK to you this year? Ours are almost BARE with only a handful of nuts. I was wondering if this is happening everywhere, OR - if my DH got crazy again with his RoundUp!!!!$#@!
Ours looks sick, sick, sick.....hardly any leaves left, not many nuts either. I was told it was due to the hot/dry weather this year. Hope next year is better!!!! By the way, I love the tree!
Old 09-02-2010, 08:57 AM

We have 2 huge oak trees and they are messy all year round. Little twigs are always dropping, let alone leaves. No nuts from them, so their only redeeming value is shade.
Old 09-02-2010, 11:03 AM

We have lots around here one I can't even spread my arms aroung half way, that baby is about 125 years old...somethin else they give is being a nautral lightening rod, tree would get hit before your home would. Also can use the shells to cook up a batch of dye for fibers. great gifts and worth the mess.
Old 09-02-2010, 11:08 AM

Black walnuts are one of the last trees to leaf out, thus one of the first to lose them in the fall. We have a big one in our front yard and got scads of nuts last year. My hubby spent a lot of time cracking them and picking them out during his TV time. They are good in cookies, candy, desserts, etc. We love them. My favorite is hickory and this is the year for a big crop of them. Most of these trees are every-other-year producers of a big crop, with a smaller crop the other year.
Old 09-02-2010, 11:12 AM

Originally Posted by stitchinwitch
Do any of you have black walnut trees? Do they look SICK to you this year? Ours are almost BARE with only a handful of nuts. I was wondering if this is happening everywhere, OR - if my DH got crazy again with his RoundUp!!!!$#@!
I hope he was careful with the Roundup®! Here in NE Ohio everything is looking dead! no rain in weeks! Hopefully tonight! 9/2/10 It might be that it's stressed or gone into early dormancy.

Good luck! You are blessed to have blk. walnut trees... yes, a mess, and nothing will grow under them, but what a stately specimen of nature!

Reminds me of the little book "The Giving Tree". If you haven't read it yet, find it in the library! and grab a box of tissues while you're at it.
Regards,
cpfrog... another nature-benchmark.
Old 09-02-2010, 11:37 AM
Kas

Yes, the wood is nice. My father in law is a woodworker and we gave him a chunk of burled bigleaf maple he has been using for years in his projects! He made me a beautiful candle holder that has some of the burl in its natural pokey form.

If you remove your tree, see if there is a local woodworking group or a Rockler store nearby. They would love to take the wood off your hands. You might even make back the cost of cutting it down if you put an add to sell the chunks.
Old 09-02-2010, 12:00 PM

We are blessed to have several Walnut trees. I love the color/grain of the wood. Nuts aren't bad either.

Nothing will grow under the trees-- I look at this way at least you don't have problems harvesting the nuts, or have to mow there...

The outer hull-- Rubber gloves over leather gloves over rubber gloves. We save the hulls in 5 gallon buckets and fill with water. Makes a wonderful natural stain when evaporated and strained-- did I say wear rubber gloves?

Inner hulls. Burn them in the wood stove and we live on a farm with a long driveway. We dump them in the pot holes to fill them up. Just don't walk on them barefoot.

The "meat" makes the most wonderful Banana Nut Bread you ever tasted. If I can hide them long enough to get banana's home from the store...

Priceless memory.
Couple years ago my DH picked up a feed sack full and put it beside the house on the driveway. It sat there for a couple weeks and no one (me) paid any attention to it. He decided he would hull them himself. Guess what - the squirrels had emptied the bag. I come out of the house to witness him swinging the empty bag over his head yelling into the woods around us. "You lazy (blankity-blank-blank) squirrels. Why don't you go pick up your own (darn) nuts. Smart aleck that I am, I piped up and said, "Why would they want to do that when they got you doing it for them?"
If looks could kill........image of him swinging that empty bag, cursing like a banshee still makes me grin.....lol