Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What's a good price for fat quarters? >

What's a good price for fat quarters?

What's a good price for fat quarters?

Old 10-05-2010, 05:48 AM

I get my batiks from JoAnn's because I don't use a whole lot of it. Some of it is kinda scratchy - some is really nice. Also, the tonals at JoAnn's are nice - I am speaking in fat quarters here.

The fat quarters are generally mill ends and they cut to a fat quarter size and fold them and put the strip of paper around them and sell them. You have to feel the fabric and some how or another look through it! If you can see through it, forget it! If it feels like a baby's be-hind buy it! Edie
Old 10-05-2010, 06:20 AM

Originally Posted by Annaleehunter
I went there for the first time last weekend! I found 2 different fabrics suited for children's clothing for just 1.00/yd! Wow. I was so overwhelmed I did not even see the fq near the register. I will go back soon. Thank you so much for posting. I am in Mooringsport, btw! Would love to meet up as I am fairly new to quilting!
My knitting group meets every Saturday from 2 pm to 4 pm. We can learn together as I've only dabbled before. Our group does more than just knitting. In addition to our personal projects, we make toy baby blankets, by any crafting method desired (and yes I've seen 12x12 quilts made for the project,) for local charities for Christmas. This is in conjunction with two other groups that make the baby dolls and the cradles. The goal is 500 units. I'm not sure what the current count is but all blankets are turned in by the November meeting (another group that meets the 2nd Wednesday of every month at the Hamilton Library on Bert Kouns Ind. Lp.)

I have a couple of basic projects I started over 20 years ago and they are just now seeing the light of day. They've been well stored so I haven't found any weathering of any kind taking place.
Old 10-05-2010, 06:24 AM

Originally Posted by dasmith2
Actually, Joann's will be having muslin for 99 cents a yard this fri-mon. :-) I need to get some.
8-? It figures. Ah, well. I will be more diligent in the future. However, I will be hitting that sale. I love making general purpose day wear for around the house out of muslin. I can never have too much muslin! LOL.
Old 10-05-2010, 06:31 AM

Originally Posted by CoyoteQuilts
Go here to see batik fabric.

http://batiks.com/cgi-bin/Store/stor...es=0&lastmenu=

Regular cotton you will get so that you know what is good quality. The better stuff is soft and flows over your hand. The more stiff and coarse feeling the fabric is, the lesser the quality. They use a lot of starch to keep poor fabric together.

Hope this helps.
Wow! Those fabrics are gorgeous!

As for the cotton advice, I will certainly check the feel and flow of the FQs before buying. I will say this though... if the costume designers (for the local movie studios) are using Best Fabrics as their primary source for fabrics (which would account for the doubling of their stock; they were packed wall-to-wall before, now their also nearly floor to ceiling!) I can hope that the majority of their fabrics are of good quality. All fabrics are on ROLLS, not a single bolt in sight.
Old 10-05-2010, 03:21 PM

Well, I went by the store today and the FQs are soft and supple and you can't see through them in the hand. However, when you hold them up to light, the thread count looks pretty low. So I didn't buy them.
Old 10-05-2010, 03:26 PM
Banned

here is something to think about. If you pay $1.00 per fat quarter then you are paying $4.00 per yard. do the math and think about what you are paying for.
Old 10-05-2010, 03:35 PM

A dollar in Canada would be fantastic.
Old 10-06-2010, 02:54 AM

Originally Posted by remclave
In my city, we have a HUGE fabric store named Best Fabrics. The local movie producers use this store because the selection is overwhelming! On the checkout counter is two boxes full of fat quarters at $1.00 per FQ. Is this a good price?

Also, here's a couple pics of the inside of the store and warehouse:
The general price around here is $6.00...
Old 10-06-2010, 03:20 AM

The photos of that store remind me of Discount Fabrics in Thurmont, MD...It is more than a quilt store, the long rolls look like drapery/uphostery fabric and the accent of the store is on that kind of fabric.
Old 10-06-2010, 03:29 AM

Here in England, FQ's are from £2.50 up to £6.00 each.
There are $2 to the £ so £2.50 is $5. Not a cheap hobby in England and not many patchwork fabric shops either.

Pauline