Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
sharpening cutting boards >

sharpening cutting boards

sharpening cutting boards

Old 10-10-2010, 05:17 PM

I just bought a 6"one. Sullivan's ...The Cutting Edge #38204. I hope to try it out this coming week and I'll let you know what I think about it.
Old 10-10-2010, 05:32 PM

Thanks. I keep the ironing board up all the time and it takes up too much of my little space. I will check them out. Again, thanks
Old 10-10-2010, 05:54 PM

I bought a Dritz Blade Sharpener several years ago, and haven't bought a rotary blade since. Knowing my budget at the time, I'll bet it wasn't over $5 at that time.
Old 10-10-2010, 08:10 PM
Dee

Saw this ruler in Keepsake quilting.
Old 10-10-2010, 09:24 PM

Originally Posted by amma
I have been trying to remember who makes that ruler and cutter, but my brain isn't working LOL

That cutting board/pressing board combo sounds interesting :D:D:D
The cutting board is on one side and the ironing board is on the other. I have one and it works great for measuring seams and then pressing them open.
Old 10-10-2010, 09:28 PM

Originally Posted by judykay
If you remember who makes the cutting board that you can also iron on please pass the information on. I have always wondered with all the technology we have these days why someone has not come up with one. I have been thinking of making my own small pressing mat that I can sit on or next to my cutting board as I have a small space and need all the room I can get.

Judy in Michigan
I bought mine at Walmart. Like I said they work great.
Old 10-11-2010, 05:54 AM

I agree it's the Rulers that have the rotary blade sharpeners on them, seems weird that the cutting mat I just saw them in Keepsake quilting's catlog,
Old 10-11-2010, 07:16 AM

Originally Posted by cjomomma
I have the June Taylor press and cut mat and I love it. I keep it next to my machine and use it all the time, I haven't had a problem with the mat warping from the heat of the iron.
I have the same mat and I love mine too. I have one of those plastic 3 drawers storage unit on wheels that the mat fits perfectly on the top. I store fabric in the drawers and it rolls under my cutting table out of the way when not in use. When I am sewing I roll it out beside my chair where I am sewing and can turn and press or cut with out having to get up. So convenient. Also I have done alot of pressing on mine and it has not warped either. Now I have heard if you leave them in a car when it is hot out they can warp. The mat fits the top of that storage unit like it was made for it. I love my little set up. When piecing a quilt with hst or flying geese or something like that where you are doing alot of pressing and sewing this works great. I was going crazy getting up and down...up and down before I set this up. A cutting board that sharpens would be nice. My rotary cutter is about wore out.
Old 10-11-2010, 08:29 AM
Power Poster

DH knows about the grit/honing stuff and he said don't worry about the grit flaking off until the blade was honed down to nothing. That's how long this diamond carbide stuff holds up. I ordered the 6-1/2in x 18-1/2 and the 4-1/2in x 8-1/2. I think it is great to have one product perform two different useful tasks. That will save me money over time.
Old 10-11-2010, 08:48 AM
np3
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Jeanniejo
I have the one with a cutting mat on one side and ironing surface on the other (WalMart). I also have one from Olfa that folds like a bookand has a carrying strap. They are wonderful for classes and retreats as well as next to your sewing machine. I wouldn't be without one !! Excellent Christmas gift. The Olfa was more expensive but they both do the job.
They are great if you are only using them for a class. They will warp with continued use.