Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Think I'm Just Not Meant to Be a Quilter >

Think I'm Just Not Meant to Be a Quilter

Think I'm Just Not Meant to Be a Quilter

Old 11-29-2010, 06:30 PM

Don't give up. I haven't....I am still on my first quilt and I have had to do some ripping and re-sewing, but I am still enjoying it. Who says a quilt has to be perfect? I can already tell mine's not gonna be!!!
Old 11-29-2010, 06:32 PM

Chiming in with everyone else, just go ahead and do it. Don't hope for perfection, just have fun. I guarantee that no matter how many mistakes you think you've incorporated in your quilt, you're the only one who will ever see them. As quilters I think by definition we often can't see the forest for the trees. And we're also our own worst critics. I finally made myself stop ripping out. Most of the 'horrible' stuff really wasn't, and the really dreadful mistakes encouraged some pretty interesting 'corrective' applique. And all told it's just an excuse to indulge our fabric addiction and play with our toys........LOL.
Old 11-29-2010, 06:34 PM

Location: Back home in Louisiana for now....where next?? who knows....

Maybe there are some board memebers that live near you that could help you out. Ask and see. Also if there is a local quilt shop take some leasons, it gets better I promise. I consider myself a new quilter as well, have been quilting about 3-4 years. I still have problems with every quilt I make so I know how you feel.
Old 11-29-2010, 06:36 PM

Quilty hugs! I have certainly been there...still keep my seam ripper right by my machine because I KNOW I'll be using it! I've decided that I'll give a block 3 chances to be "perfect" and after that, I just accept it as a humility block! Blocks that don't work for other reasons (usually a lack of contrast or I was just trying out a block) end up in my orphan block pile and I'll put them all together to make a quilt that has no rhyme or reason to the colors and sizes! I've been quilting less than 3 years, so I still chop off points and seams don't always match, but in the end, if you can't see the problem in the finished quilt from a galloping horse, then it's all good!!!

Best tip I was ever given was to slow down...it's not a race :-D
Old 11-29-2010, 06:38 PM

have you taken any classes? things that seem impossibly hard are often easier when you have someone to guide you.
that said, the guys here are really helpful but sometimes you need to see each step and classes can make that much easier.
Old 11-29-2010, 06:41 PM

Quick, go to connectingthreads.com and order precuts half price for cyber Monday and practice your 1/4 inch seams. The rest will come with time.

If you look at connecting threads, go to the sampler site. When you click on a grouping the precuts that are still available will show up.
Old 11-29-2010, 06:41 PM

Slice em up and do string quilts! seriously I have sliced up an entire quilt and re-sewn it into a scrappy,or string quilts. They are very forgiving, and about all I do!I refuse to let something I choose and like to do stress me out. I have been sewing since I was nine and am fast approaching fifty, If the "quilt police " seen my stuff they would at the very least require oxygen lol.
Rae
Old 11-29-2010, 06:43 PM

I seriouly had to look and make sure that somehow MY old post was reposted!! I got help from people on this board and it reallly helped. I also embroidered and sewed to solid colored blocks. A very good sewer told me to tack the blocks together where seams are supposed to alignwhen you are attatching rows (just a couple of stitches) then when you sew 1/4 seam you can't see the hand sewed stitches. Even pins can move. She also told me to throw it across the room if I felt like it but important thing is to keep going! I signed up for a class at LQS )local quilt store) for only $10. If you have quilts in you that need to come out just keep going and try to have fun. When I look at the others work on this site, I just say to myself that I will do that SOMEDAY!
Old 11-29-2010, 06:50 PM

I am sure its not as bad as you think. Post a picture on here and lets see if someone can talk you through it! Probably won't be me, I am pretty new at this myself, but there are some great people on here who are very helpful! Remember quilting is fun, and someone will love that quilt!
Old 11-29-2010, 06:54 PM

Oh I know exactly where you're coming from. Been there. The best advice that I was ever given was to just have fun with it. If it's not fun then don't worry about it, make it a learning experience.

Why don't you do some practice technique blocks, and don't have a specific project in mind. Keep making different blocks in different colors that you want to try. Focus on the method of making them rather than getting everything "perfect"

Nothing I make is "perfect" but as long as I have fun that's what matters.