Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Quilts >

Quilts

Quilts

Old 12-01-2010, 05:29 AM

I generally make Art Quilts to decorate my walls. Last year I made one for each of my sons for their bedroom wall in their apt. The last quilt, I made and finished in Aug., is going in the last large space in my house. I have to think about the finished size before I start another one, and where I'll hang it. I do have a two sided pieced queen duvet to finish.
Old 12-01-2010, 06:04 AM

I always have someone to make a quilt for, someone gets married, people all around me are having babies (my cousin just had her girl yesterday), someone's birthday, Christmas, etc....I rarely have time to make one just because I like the pattern, unfortunately. My quilt bucket list is getting longer every day.
Old 12-01-2010, 06:13 AM

I love to make quilts - and I live to try out patterns. I find if I make them baby to twin size and give them to Charity I can try all the patterns and colors I want. And I know they will be used. This year I made 108 and gave them all to Linus (not all at once - but several times during the year). I got to try out all kinds of patterns and had a real good time doing it.
Old 12-01-2010, 06:42 AM

I love making quilts, when I first started I always had it planned for someone, (grandchildren, son, daughters). Now I am into making quilts because I love the pattern, fabric, or the new tool I get to try out. And they now go to the person that says, "I love this quilt". So far I do not have a homemade quilt on my own bed. LOL Maybe next year.
Old 12-01-2010, 06:48 AM

I'm currently working my way through Harriet Hargrave's Quilters Academy series - the first book has 11 projects and the next has about the same. Before I start a project, I do identify a recipient - this helps me to choose a color scheme - and I know that I don't need 30 or 40 quilts around our home.

Cheers, K
Old 12-01-2010, 06:52 AM

I always know where mine is going. I would love to just sit down and start sewing for fun but never do.
Old 12-01-2010, 07:19 AM

i usually make them for other people - if its for me it seems to take forever no matter how much I love the pattern so I only have two that I have actually made just for me
Old 12-01-2010, 07:26 AM

I make what inspires me! As for finding homes, I don't worry about. Sometimes, a quilt finds it's own home. So make all you want, & don't even worry about it. I quilt for me, so it's better if I don't always have a home for one in mind at the time. Sometimes that makes it feel more like work, & that, I don't need. Just pure enjoyment, so quilt away!..
Old 12-01-2010, 07:27 AM

Originally Posted by PegD
When most of you make quilts, do you make them specifically for someone, or just because you like them? And then what do you do with them? I have so many I want to make, but no one in mind to make them for.
How bout for me? I love quilts and one from someone else would be totally awesome. As I learned to quilt to meet people after moving across the state, most of the ones I've made have been given away. Am I in your mind now? :mrgreen: :lol: :thumbup: :roll: :mrgreen: :lol:
Old 12-01-2010, 07:35 AM

You could make lap quilts and donate them to a nursing or assisted living home. My quilt guild gives them to local hospitals, hospices, and women's shelters. They are always greatly appreciated by those receiving them.