Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
How do you build your stash? >

How do you build your stash?

How do you build your stash?

Old 12-29-2010, 09:51 PM

I randomly buy stuff that really appeals to me. The gals at the cutting table seem to always ask "what are you going to do with it" and I seem to always reply "duh, I don't know".
Old 12-29-2010, 10:15 PM
Jim

I buy what I like in colors and blends..wife buys..dtr buys...so we have a huge stash and can easily make several hundred quilts without leaving our stash
Old 12-29-2010, 10:17 PM

sales! woo-woo! and all these year-end sales! half price, or free shipping and maybe a third off. but only what appeals to me. have just started quilting again after a few years off, so i really needed to build. this is a fun time of year!
Old 12-29-2010, 10:18 PM

I started out buying a yard or two of each of the fabrics I liked and it started growing....I now buy 5-10 yards of what I like now. My stash is way to big and am trying to sell some on here and I'm using up what I can. I'm trying to not buy anymore for a while...keeping my fingers crossed but I check everyday what is for sale here...and I've been good and haven't bought any(yet :twisted: ). I would just buy whatever I could afford at the time and just fabrics that I liked. When you have enough of it, it's like having your own little store at home :)
Old 12-30-2010, 03:03 AM

I buy randomly, just enjoying what comes my way. I know that "someday" I will find the perfect place for it and if not...oh well. This coming year, just like every year, I will swear off buying more but I lie to myself. I do TRY and that must count for something.
Old 12-30-2010, 03:08 AM
tmg

I have found a lot of my stash at the thrift store. It is all 100% cotton. It is unreal what people get rid of. I don't have much money to buy it the fabric stores. I also know people who uses clothes from the thrift store. Just read the lables
Old 12-30-2010, 04:20 AM

Originally Posted by Brendat0426
I have a very small stash, I am already bursting out of the one very small storage space to put it into. But I'm wondering for those of you that have a stash.....how did/do you get it? When you go to Joanns/online/LQS do you buy stuff you like and think you may use? I know Joanns/Hancocks has stuff on clearance and then they have sales on that....do you buy it then even if you dont know what to use it for?

Just wondering, Thanks!!
Of course on all those questions. Sounds to me like you are on your way to being a true quilter and fabriholic. We all love to "share our disease". Welcome to the club :roll: :lol: :roll: :lol:
Old 12-30-2010, 04:27 AM

I buy on sale and stock up on basics like neutrals, black and white. I'll buy at least 2yds. If I see something I really like and want it for backing I might buy 7 yards. I like to buy in color families too. For instance, I'll look for blues and browns on one trip, yellows and reds on the next. I primarily like scrappy patterns, so lots of fat quarters work for me as well. When I do shop for a color controlled quilt I always buy extra to add to my stash.
Old 12-30-2010, 04:28 AM

I found that little poem written by Luana Rubin.

My stash is a work in progress,with no beginning and no end.
It is the Milky Way
It is the New York City library
It is the Smithsonian and the Louvre
It is looking out at the window as I fly over the Rocky Mountains
It is a collection of best-loved poems
It is Martha Stewart's spice pantry
It holds memories
It holds stories that have never been written
It is a place of infinite potential
It is all the things in my heart that have not yet been spoken
Old 12-30-2010, 04:53 AM

I don't often buy at Joann's or less expensive stores much any more. I have found that fabric I bought cheaply deteriorates fairly quickly. I have a quilt that has been washed on a few times with pieces that are wearing out. So I buy at my local quilt shop which has sales periodically. They offer a discount half of your age during the week of your birthday. This year I bought about 10 yds in cuts and FQs. Buy the best you can in colors you enjoy working with.