Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
I am curious, do you quilt yr own or send it out? Why >

I am curious, do you quilt yr own or send it out? Why

I am curious, do you quilt yr own or send it out? Why

Old 01-17-2011, 08:12 PM

Originally Posted by cherylynne
I do all of my own quilting. I either use my sewing machine or rent time on a long arm at my LQS.
I never thought about renting time, it would be fun to play without the expense of buying a LA. Is this a common practice?
Old 01-17-2011, 08:14 PM

I quilt my own on my domestic machine. It took a lot of practice, but now I can do bed size quilts on it. I started with potholders to practice on, then runners and wall hangings and then onto large quilts. Not only do I save a lot of money, but I enjoy FMQ very much :)
Old 01-17-2011, 08:15 PM

Sorry, didn't mean that I won't share credit if I did, and it'll be definitely teamwork if the quilter and pieced are not the same person, and that is why I said that I want my quilts to be all mine, even if not as pretty as an LA would make them, because I don't want to say I and xxxx made this, lol. Just wanted to clarify my statement.

Originally Posted by Ladyjanedoe
Originally Posted by candi
I have quilted my own quilts so far...but the largest I've made is about 60x70. I am currently working on a queen and a full size quilts and don't really want to quilt them on my home machine, as I struggled with the bulk of last one. This being said, I am also having trouble getting used to the idea of someone else quilting for me, I want my quilts to be all mine...I have the option of renting a long arm, so will be looking into that option. Although I have to say, almost anyone would do a better job quilting than me, but hey, I want my signature on my quilts,lol. Plus, ask my hubby, I have hard time sharing credit :oops: U :lol: :mrgreen:
I kind of have trouble with going to a show and seeing a piecing ribbon on a quilt that's a remarkably simple pieced pattern but beautifully and elaborately quilted. When they say that ' quilting often makes the quilt' they ain't kidding.

Locally, they've started giving ribbons for both now but it's TEAMWORK regardless of whether the piecer gives credit or not.

Having said that, I wonder how many quilters allow themselves to take full credit for a longarm artists' work away from a quilt show--especially when giving a quilt as a gift.
Old 01-17-2011, 08:17 PM

Originally Posted by julie777
i agree it wouldnt be very satisfying to have someone else finish your quilt i want to do it all myself
Good point...I agree :)
Old 01-17-2011, 08:53 PM

Well, I longarm for customers, so you think I'd be able to quilt my own, huh?? But I often joke that I never seem to find time to quilt mine, so I might have to send them out to another LAer to do!!

Seriously, before LA, I used to quilt all of mine (mostly by machine). I did send two out to be LA'ed, but I was so fascinated by the quilting process, that I had to get my own machine. That was 10 years ago, and some of the tops that were on my list back then are STILL not done!! :-)
Old 01-17-2011, 09:21 PM

Some of both. I don't have the room to set up large quilts for machine quilting. When I hand quilt it drives me crazy to use a hoop and see things in little patches. I also have made some quilts using very expensive fabrics that had to be done for a specific gift giving date. I sent those out for professional quilting because I knew I would not get them done in time.
Old 01-17-2011, 09:33 PM

When I started quilting I had no idea that you could send your quilts out. I did my first quilt, a Cal King on my Singer. The middle was a little tricky but once I got the hang of it, it was no problem. I figure if I go through all the trouble of piecing it, it would be hard to have someone else do the quilting for it. But I can understand why other people do, and it is just a matter of what peoples preference it. Long Arm quilting is just beautiful, and I will never be able to do that, but I love looking at it.
Old 01-17-2011, 09:35 PM
Banned

send them out....LA quilter's need money too!
Old 01-17-2011, 09:44 PM
Banned

I do all my own, when I can get to them! I have had my longarm for 5-1/2 years now, and the work has finally slowed down just the past couple of weeks! The lull is over tomorrow, however, but I was able to make a tiny dent in my own pile of projects!! Yeah!
Old 01-17-2011, 09:57 PM

I send my quilts out to a LA and she does beautiful work and is very reasonably priced. She has a fast turn around time. My LA has been quilting for quite some time and her work just makes me wish that someday I might do half as good as she does. Purchased a Gammil frame and have a Juki machine on it but need to learn how to use it. That takes more patience than I have right now.