Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Stash Organizing Question >
  • Stash Organizing Question

• Stash Organizing Question

Old 01-23-2011, 05:37 PM

Originally Posted by cjomomma
    This is what I did on my book shelf. It looked really good at first but now it is a mess. LOL!!!
    What are those white things that your fabric is on? Nice stash you got there. Can I go shopping at your house? LOL
    Old 01-23-2011, 06:05 PM
    Power Poster

Location: Murray, Ky. Looking for a nice cushy pillow to rest my head on!

Originally Posted by Airwick156
    Originally Posted by cjomomma
    This is what I did on my book shelf. It looked really good at first but now it is a mess. LOL!!!
    What are those white things that your fabric is on? Nice stash you got there. Can I go shopping at your house? LOL
    They are foam boards that I bought at dollar tree. It a big sheet and I cut 6 boards out of 1. It's a nice stash but more than half of it is gone now. But that's not all that I have. LOL!!
    Old 01-23-2011, 06:09 PM

Originally Posted by jaciqltznok
    Originally Posted by Frankie
    Seems everyone separates the batiks, why? When you sew with batiks can you not use other fabrics with them?
    I usually do NOT mix batiks with regulars cottons. Even though I prewash my fabrics they are still not as tight of a weave as the batiks are and blocks are often uneven!

I also love to see the colors of the batiks by themselves!
    Intersesting! I am a fairly new quilter and I love batks, I use them very often with other fabrics and don't notice any problems (well, more than usual,lol), I love the texture batiks add to other fabrics in a quilt. I too prewash all of my fabrics.
    Old 01-23-2011, 06:11 PM

Here is what I'm working on doing. Just an idea for you.
    Attached Thumbnails attachment-166881.jpe   attachment-166882.jpe   attachment-166883.jpe  
    Old 01-23-2011, 07:16 PM
    QM
    Power Poster

I separate out batiks because they are generally more expensive than the majority of fabrics in my stash. I just waant to use them intentionally, not just where anything that color would do. BTW, I was told that one should never use them for needleturn applique. That is not true with good sharp needles.
    Old 01-23-2011, 07:29 PM

Originally Posted by jaciqltznok
    Originally Posted by gzuslivz
    I'm just beginning to set up my sewing room. I plan on using plastic stacking drawers for my fabric, sorted by color. Backing will be in a tub, as well we themed fabrics. I have flat project containers and will have small tubs for cut strips. I have my charm packs in a plastic box. All the boxes are that clear/white plastic. I want to be able to see into them. I thought about wrapping the fabric like some of you do, but I don't think that will work too well for me. I have so many different sizes of fabric and I want to keep colors together.
    make sure your plastic is NOT air tight! lack of air will cause fabric to dry rot! Plastic also gives off gasses during extreme temp changes...
    also if moisture gets in there, then you could mold...
    the drawers work well as they are not air tight, but it is still a good idea to line the drawers with acid free tissue paper before putting your fabrics in them.
    Thanks for the info!
    Old 01-24-2011, 04:24 AM

And then there is me! I keep my over one yards in a cabinet that has windows, I keep my fat quarters and 1/2 yards in plastic shoe boxes according to color, I keep the pieces that are 2" or larger in plastic bags according to color and everything else goes into a plastic bag that I save for my sister and her crazy quilts. Then I keep everything stored in the basement until I need what I need, bring them up, design the quilt, get the fabrics, cut and put them back in the box or bags to be used again or relegated to my sister's designs and take them down in the basement in its rightful place (designated by moi!) Right now I have five bags of hst's in bags according to color and they will go in my box for when I need some in the future. It is a system that only I can understand and perhaps that is good. Anyone looking at it would steer as clear of it as possible, but I know my treasures. Edie
    Old 01-24-2011, 04:50 AM

I sort by color, for basic cottons. However, I also sort out certain other things. For example, all Christmas, all cats, holidays, all fabrics not cotton, fabrics bought for a specific project, pre cut pieces, small scraps, larger scraps, etc.

We used to be taught in college that if you had more than 5 of anything it needed its own file folder. I sort of think that way and keep like kinds of fabric together, sorted by color, etc.
    Old 01-24-2011, 04:54 AM

Originally Posted by Vanuatu Jill
    I tend to sort by color, but have separate sections for Xmas, batik, and child's. Fabs with multi-colors are also in a separate section if I can't determine a predominate color in it.
    This is basically the way I sort mine also.
    Old 01-24-2011, 06:00 AM

I have a fairly large stash and most I have done by color. Then I have holiday, retro, and all the fabric to make a whole quilt with. Good luck