Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
I need your help >

I need your help

I need your help

Old 02-07-2011, 08:28 AM

If you put all the "portrait" blocks on the same row. It will make it a lot easier to strip it.
Old 02-07-2011, 08:29 AM

I like that Idea!
Old 02-07-2011, 09:00 AM

Originally Posted by kanakama
My daughter and family moved from MA to FL two years ago. My grandson misses it here in Marblehead, MA so much I decided to make him a quilt with images of M'head. Now I've got the photos transferred to fabric and I'm ready to put it all together, but I'm stumped as to what color to use for sashing and border. The blocks are 8"x10" so I'm going to need a fairly wide sashing and border to make the quilt big enough. My grandson is 8. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
I have made several photo quilts and have used a fabric that looks like wood grain. Making a frame aroung each photo.
Old 02-07-2011, 09:06 AM
Banned

I agree with the idea of making them all 12" using borders of a solid fabric - the same fabric for all - navy maybe or the wood grain GloBug suggested.
Sash with grey solid.
Border with either navy or grey, or both thereby having 2 borders - one narrower than the other, outer border being the wider of the 2..
I would not use any patterned fabric - they would detract from your pictures.
Great job; he'll love it.
Old 02-07-2011, 11:59 AM

Originally Posted by milkbone
This is just my opinion, but why don't you "frame" each square like a picture frame----in black----then put a sky blue, or road printed, or stars, etc sashing. I think each of your pictures need a frame.
Love this idea! Think it will set off the pictures, they do need a frame.
Old 02-07-2011, 02:19 PM

The idea of a meandering path comes to my mind too. Starting with the town welcome sign, your grandson could walk his fingers, or drive his cars, to each of the landmarks. Your avatar could serve as an inspiration. If you were to make a quasi landscape quilt, then the background colors of the photos may merge with the background of the fabric, which would be fine, as long as you didn't loose the landmark.

As I put myself in the place of the boy, lying on such a quilt, I get drowsy with memories. (Then, again, I'm getting into the nostalgic years.) I can also picture an excited boy using the quilt to show his friends where he once lived. You have the start of a wonderful quilt, and have been fed with many great ideas. Looking forward to the end product.

Carol
Old 02-07-2011, 02:33 PM

wonderful pictures
Old 02-07-2011, 02:37 PM

I just love this site. Everybody is so helpful. I love the idea of framing each picture. You could even do a collage where the pics are closer together. If you needed it larger you could put cornerstone pics and a wide border. At the top of the quilt you could write Marblehead, MA or your grandsons name with fabric paint or fabric markers.
Old 02-07-2011, 04:22 PM

Originally Posted by kanakama
My daughter and family moved from MA to FL two years ago. My grandson misses it here in Marblehead, MA so much I decided to make him a quilt with images of M'head. Now I've got the photos transferred to fabric and I'm ready to put it all together, but I'm stumped as to what color to use for sashing and border. The blocks are 8"x10" so I'm going to need a fairly wide sashing and border to make the quilt big enough. My grandson is 8. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Aww shucks, those pictures make me miss New England toooo ! If I only had a picture quilt of Cape Cod. waaaaaaaahhh.
Old 02-07-2011, 04:36 PM

I see a lot of brick in the pics, maybe you would want to pick some of that up in the sashing