Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
weight loss challenge with a prize feb sign up.........closes feb 2 @ 8am >

weight loss challenge with a prize feb sign up.........closes feb 2 @ 8am

weight loss challenge with a prize feb sign up.........closes feb 2 @ 8am

Old 02-14-2011, 04:38 PM

I'd love to know the diet and exercise plan to lose 30-40 lbs. in 5-6 weeks. Is it something you can share with us?
Old 02-14-2011, 05:20 PM

Originally Posted by bjeriann
I'd love to know the diet and exercise plan to lose 30-40 lbs. in 5-6 weeks. Is it something you can share with us?
Sure I can share it. I will be drinking one medifast shake and a protein source (like egg/cheese/whatever) for breakfast. A large salad with a protein source for lunch and another shake. Then dinner is a protein and more veggies. Very low carb. The key is to eat this way and exercise A LOT each week. I will be walking my two miles in the pool and doing my sittercise and yoga each week.

The first 30 pounds I lost in a month so I am hoping for the same success. If I drop back any of the food then I start storing up fat instead of burning it.

Once I get to the 30 pound mark then the surgeon will set a date for surgery and between that time and the actual surgery date I will have to be on an all liquid diet in order to shock my liver into shrinking.

I weigh 430 pounds as of this morning and I am expected to lose 250-300 pounds in about 2 years or so. We shall see.

Missy
Old 02-14-2011, 05:25 PM

Let me know that diet plan too. My doc said I needed to loose 125, see his Nurse practioner, who hander me a book to look up calories, fats, and carbs for everything and told me to exercise for3 mim a day , adding 2 minutes each week. Now two months later I am going for my next appointment, wonder how much he thinks I should have lost with that help.
Old 02-14-2011, 05:39 PM

Originally Posted by SWChick
Let me know that diet plan too. My doc said I needed to loose 125, see his Nurse practioner, who hander me a book to look up calories, fats, and carbs for everything and told me to exercise for3 mim a day , adding 2 minutes each week. Now two months later I am going for my next appointment, wonder how much he thinks I should have lost with that help.
You have to start somewhere. I cannot do aerobic exercise (outside of the pool) at all so I walk in the pool for 2 miles or so. The sittercise DVD I have is awesome because it is for people who cannot exercise standing. It is a 30 min workout and all I have to do to bump it up is to add hand weights while I work out. Both of those types of exercise really has helped me lose what I have already lost.

I say do what you can and increase it as you can. That is way better than nothing.

Missy
Old 02-15-2011, 01:15 AM

I know I don't have a right to say anything here, but I'm on a new plan with a dietician who I see weekly. She is a diabetes educator and she has made me swear to do everything she tells me. So here is her plan.

First she doubled my diabetes medication - after a ton of blood and other not so nice tests. Now, I must get up by 6:30 am and test my blood. By 7:30 I need to have eaten a minimum of 25 carbs and a serving of protien. For the rest of the day I am to eat 15 carbs every 2 hours whether I'm hungry or not. On day 1 I test my blood before breakfast and Dinner, on day 2 I test before Lunch and Bedtime. Lunch is at 11:30 and is at minimum of 25 carbs and a protein. Snack at 2:30, tea at 4:30 dinner at 6:30, snack at 8:30 and protein snack or nuts at 10:30. Exercise is 15 min walk before lunch and 15 min walk after dinner except Sunday when I only have to do one. If I walk to the gas station for a diet soda, that is one exercise.

Medication must be taken 7:30, 11:30, 3:30, 7:30, set my timer.

My food is now medication. I take it when the diatician orders me to take it and don't worry about it at any other time. Also, 4 meals per week must contain fish, not breaded or deep fried, baked fish like salmon or plain tuna, or haddock, trout, etc. My only fat choice is olive oil, sugar? none! Must eat whole fruit, not juice although I can have lemon slices in my water or tea. Only 1 diet soda per day and this is the only sugar substitute I can have. All bread must be multi-grain and sprouted. I can't remember all the other rules. I know if it is white, I can't have it...including milk. Soy milk is okay but I really should switch to almond milk. Dried fruit is okay as long as 1 is 1. All that is missing is the water, drink water while you eat it.

Then she gave me a book I am to use with my therapist that helps me deal with the emotional stuff I have about food, eating, not eating and self-worth. I think the psychiatrist appointment is either tomorrow or Thursday, must call and check.

I am not allowed to miss an appointment or class (on line) until my blood sugar and weight are undercontrol. So, no more crap from me. I'm in the diet dog house. This lady is serious...no more skipping meals or playing games. It is just too serious to do it anymore.

I'm scared. All my levels are a mess and my heart and other organs are rebelling. The doctors have said, start following directions or else no more pain management. Do what we say and get healthy.

So, if I start to cry and be miss miserable, remind me I have lost the right to have choices because I can't make wise decisions. It will get better, but there is work to be done and now is the time to do it.

Also, I did keep 15 of the 20 pounds I lost in January off.

Hope you all had a wonderful Valentine's Day! Later,
Old 02-15-2011, 08:36 AM

Carrie,
Those fabrics look delicious! So pretty. My eye is attracted to the turquoise batiks, but I would gladly play with all of them!
Thanks for letting me peek!

My diet has gone to he77! I diet then I eat, and I go up and down. It's time for a renewed commitment for me!

Gwyn,
That is one tough diet. Hang in there! It will bring you good results.

Missy,
Yours is a doozy too. Keep working at it.
Old 02-15-2011, 09:22 AM
Banned

Yesterday was a crappy day for me. I was married valentines day and even though I wanted out of the marriage I get depressed on my anniversary. I don't get depressed that I am divorced I get depressed remembering all the hopes and dreams I had that day to only have them all shattered. Needless to say I ate like a pig. I can't remember what I had for breakfast it is a blurr. Lunch corn chowder, then I decided to make scones so I had 4 with 1/2 stick of butter and tons of blackberry jam and orange marmalade. Next was popcorn, when I pop it it makes about 8 cups I had almost the entire bowl. Not so bad calorie wise but I still had that. Pot roast for dinner. I should be OK since I had eaten so much all day............WRONG I then had biscoti not 1 or 2 but 1/2 the cookie tin with tea. OK so it was now about 10PM I should be OK and not hungry until I go to bed...........WRONG AGAIN the bacon that was cooked for the corn chowder ( i cook the bacon but don't put it in the chowder until I am ready to eat it so it is crispy) anyway the bacon was calling my name. I could hear it I swear I could. So what did I do I had a BLT with lots and lots of mayo and a chocolate shake. I know there was other stuff but can't remember. You know how it is grab a cookie here and handfull of potato chips there......JUST KILL ME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

On the flip side I have been good and by eating so much I can now go back to eating less calories and my body won't go into starvation mode and not let me loss weight not that I have lost last week. Maybe all the food will jump start my metabolism and I will loss this week.......one could hope can't they?
Old 02-15-2011, 11:21 AM

Wow, I had no idea that was going on yesterday. I'm sorry. Remember, it isn't what we do 10% of the time, it is what happens the remaining 90%. So yesterday was just one of 10 days. If you do your usual best the next 9, it shouldn't matter at all. Hang in there.
Old 02-15-2011, 12:00 PM
Power Poster

Location: Murray, Ky. Looking for a nice cushy pillow to rest my head on!

Oh my Tru! What a day you had. It sounds just like me a couple days ago. I agree with the all that food will just get you jump started to losing.
Old 02-15-2011, 04:06 PM

I don't feel like exercising or watching what I eat. I'm a bit depressed today. I just need to get up and get going, but the motivation is not there.

I feel blah! And I have a blah attitude. I keep saying tomorrow is a better day, but it's the same old thing. I need something to kick start me back into gear.

Anybody got any ideas?

Carol