Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
  • Are you proud of your state? >
  • Are you proud of your state?

• Are you proud of your state?

Old 03-10-2011, 08:14 AM

I am from Missouri, home of Harry Truman, Scott Joplin, Thomas Hart Benton, Mark Twain, Walt Disney, we have Iowa to the north, Kansas to the west, Arkansas to the south, Illinois to the east, Oklahoma, Kentucky and Tennessee also touch us in places. Our state tree is the Dogwood, state bird is the Bluebird, state animal the Mule. We have gentle hills and beautiful Lake of the Ozarks, Table Rock Lake, Lake Taneycomo, Stockton Lake, Bull Shoals Lake, and we have Branson. I love living here and it is like heaven to have so much variety. My parents retired down here as well as my sister moved here from Florida. If they would just lose their Yankee attitude, things would bode better for them.
    Old 03-10-2011, 08:27 AM

From Illinois, NO, I am not proud of this state. We are so far in debt, we will never get out.
    Old 03-10-2011, 08:31 AM

I grew up in Michigan (which is a beautiful state), but have also lived in Texas, Nevada & now currently live in Missouri. Although each place had its good as well as its bad points, I would have to say that I loved Texas the most with Missouri being a close second. My main complaint about where I live in MO is it rains way more than I like and it bothers me a lot to see a lack of civic pride when it comes to the way people maintain their homes. Boonville is right in the heart of MO with tons of history here, but so many of the homes here are in abominable condition! The same holds true for a lot of the smaller neighboring towns. Breaks my heart to see towns that have been here since before the Civil War looking so dilapitated! While the economy has probably had an affect on this, I also can see where things have been this way for yrs & yrs.
    Old 03-10-2011, 08:40 AM

Cant really say I am proud of Illinois. It's a sad sack of _______ right now! I am taxed beyond belief, my infrastructure is failing, my government is embarassing.

The people are generally nice though. And the best part is you can get ANYWHERE else in the world easily!!
    Old 03-10-2011, 09:38 AM

Originally Posted by ajonkarl
    Chiming in from sunny ARIZONA ... and you guys think you got problems!!! I love my state but just hate all the issues going on.
    :thumbup: I couldn't agree more! Been out here for 11 years and it nuttier and nuttier.

As for you Texans - I support sales/field reps for TX and one told me last week:

"If everyone did what Texas did, then we wouldn't have any problems at all !"
    Old 03-10-2011, 09:42 AM

Location: Piedmont Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.

Fifteen generations plus from Virginia. Proud to be the birthplace of the country.

Jan in VA
    Old 03-10-2011, 01:46 PM

And somehow, I'm not surprised this thread was started by a Texan. :)

I'm from Texas too and love my state. Either you love it or you wait for the first chance to get out.
    Old 03-10-2011, 02:42 PM
    Power Poster

Originally Posted by scowlkat
    And I am just as proud to be from Tennessee! Love my mountains, rivers, lakes and most of all, the people!
    Me, too. (Even though I was not born and raised here!)
    Old 03-10-2011, 03:14 PM

I am proud to say I am from Wisconsin... but very embarrassed by our Governor and the Republican senators who pushed that bill through last night so illegally. I have been to Madison protesting 4 times and will go again Sat. Today the Governor was flying a private jet across the state and just holding news conferences... no public allowed in. What a waste of taxpayer money...he could have done that in Madison... OH don't get me started...
    But I am proud to say I am from Wisconsin... with clean air, water, recycling, reusing, and great education...today, but who know about tomorrow????
    Old 03-10-2011, 03:20 PM

I am from Minnesota. Born, married and will be buried here. Minnesota, it is true what they say - Minnesota Nice. Most of us, are nice, helpful, honest, trustworthy and just middle of the road, grass roots people!

We are people who, if we see a puddle, we walk in it, when the dog jumps over it! We are always there to help shovel, sweep, mow, whatever a neighbor needs, we are always there.

We have the four seasons, in spades! Our lakes are beautiful, our forests are beautiful, our walleyes (the State Fish)are the best tasting in the world, our blueberry muffins (the State Muffin) are the best when the berries are wild, the Honeycrisp (the State Apple) is the best, Wild Rice (our State grain) is great,
    the Monarch Butterfly (the State butterfly) is gorgeous. "l'etoile du nord" is Minnesota's nickname, meaning Star of the North.

Come visit us. Edie