Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
How much fabric do you really have??? >

How much fabric do you really have???

How much fabric do you really have???

Old 03-30-2011, 03:13 AM

I have gotten into quilting because of my Mom - she's 90 - Anyway she has a room that is lined with shelves that are FULL of fabric. Have no idea how much in yardage. I swore I would not buy any fabric until we had made a sizable dent in all that she has.....that only lasted a year. I've gotten into a couple projects that....believe it or not, there was no appropriate fabric in Mom's stash. Now I've got to figure out how to organize what I have started to collect.
Old 03-30-2011, 03:35 AM

Guilty as charged, I just can't resist a sale. I have at least that much. My only saving grace is my hubby does woodwork and that is not cheap so I get away with it. I also sell my quilt squares, mini quilt top and do special orders up on ebay and been doing that for 11 years. So I more than pay for any fabric I purchase.
Have a Blessed day
Ellen
Old 03-30-2011, 03:37 AM

Wow weee!!! If you paid for that at the price we pay here in Australia ($20 and up per metre) that would amount to $60 000. I think my husband would kill me

:mrgreen:

I have one small basket and look longingly at all the beautiful fabric on the US websites, it's just not the same as touching though :cry:
Old 03-30-2011, 03:40 AM

Now that I am retired, I have more, but no where near that! I would imagine I have about 150 yards or so. Trouble is, the more I read and experience the new prices on cotton--the more tempted I am to buy--just in case. I have stopped buying until I can make up quilts from what I have--but we all know I will be heading back to the store at some point to find a piece of the "right color" that isn't in the stash!
Old 03-30-2011, 04:08 AM

Here is just a thought if you have soo much and are planning to give it after you die to sil dd etc why dont you pick out what you know you will do and have a girls day invite them over and let them pick what they want out before selling. That way you can enjoy what they finish of your kits. qnd they can enjoy them while your still around. why wait. Deb
Old 03-30-2011, 04:20 AM

I used to have a lot of fabric but I got married and the DH and I went through the Non-quilting fabric (clothes) and sold most of it on ebay. It allowed us to take a short trip to Florida. Anyway, I have just enough. I know what I have but I would love to have some quilt kits.
Old 03-30-2011, 04:24 AM

i too have used a lot of stash for my local Boys and Girls club torch club. They are making quilts for Project Linus and my stash has come in pretty handy. They buy fabric but I have alot of solids, etc. to match up with them.
Old 03-30-2011, 04:30 AM

shoot - you win. I thought I had quite a bit....wow.
Old 03-30-2011, 04:32 AM

I just started quilting 1.5 years ago and have been debating if I should start a stash. Part of me wanted to buy fabric as I needed it but recently I have been buying just to buy. I go through these phases where I "must buy fabric" and that's where I am at now. :)
Old 03-30-2011, 04:44 AM

I don't think I can count that high, I spend about $100.00 a month at the local stores. I love fabric, I work so therefore I spend.