Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
How many of you were gardening or doing yard work this weekend? >

How many of you were gardening or doing yard work this weekend?

How many of you were gardening or doing yard work this weekend?

Old 04-12-2011, 09:24 AM

DH and I did the garden over the weekend and today we planted the new Rose of Sharon bushes along with burying the ashes of our beloved Husky who passed about a year ago. We put his ashes underneath one of the bushes. Now we just pray for no late freezes and work on weed control. Gotta figure out weed control around the hostas - a weedy vine likes that area so more work for me.
Old 04-12-2011, 10:56 AM

Planted my garden this weekend. It was near 90 on Saturday and almost that warm on Sunday. Got sunburned and was very sore, but it sure was worth it.
Old 04-12-2011, 12:38 PM

Isn't it wonderful when Spring returns...I miss Spring in the North East after being in AZ for 23 yrs because of the plants coming to life. Our's never really go dormanent and certain plants and shrubs are blooming now that will just be green when the temps hit the 100 degree mark. They briefly bloom again in November before the night time temps fall below 40. Not many people ever open their windows here but I still do and don't turn on the AC until the night time lows are in the low 80's. Summer's too long if you use AC from March to October.
Old 04-12-2011, 01:35 PM

Let's see, I planted kale,peas and spinach a few weeks ago, and sunday went to my fav nursery and went NUTS! I bought a large rosemary, since the winter always kills the smaller ones. Geranium, spike, million bells, huge fern, (12 dollars) impatiens verbena, which the butterflies have already found. I am tired of Lowes and HD, they never have the plants for large planters....
Yesterday I dragged out the tiller, and planted the better part of two 4 x 4 square foot garden plots. Anyone who is limited on space or wants to grow in a small space, check out the website or the books.. The library has some. Planted lots of great stuff and my peas are up!
Old 04-12-2011, 06:09 PM

We worked in the yard , some friends brought our 10 year old a pool over and set it up she is in hog heaven. And for the first time we planted a garden and today see little green twigs coming up hops the darn rabbits don't get it. We that was my weekend and I quilted!
Old 04-12-2011, 06:46 PM

My hand is waving in the air. Been working in the yard a little bit each day this week.
Old 04-12-2011, 07:18 PM

yes, DH planted lilac bushes and I was moving furniture around inside. now we are both paying for it.....
Old 04-12-2011, 07:31 PM

Unfortunately, we're having the coldest April in a long time. Has to be at least 58-60 before I work outside. I'm itching to though.
Old 04-12-2011, 07:32 PM

Set 30 corner post and H braces Sat. for new fence had to use jackhammer to get holes. Then finished planting garden Sunday and woke up to greenhouse flatten by storm Sunday nite tree blown over new fence and calf struck by lighting. I'm thinking about quiting this job
Old 04-12-2011, 07:34 PM

I picked some daffodils and bleeding hearts to make a small bouquet, does that count?