Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Pressing/Ironing, Ironing Boards and Covers!! >

Pressing/Ironing, Ironing Boards and Covers!!

Pressing/Ironing, Ironing Boards and Covers!!

Old 04-28-2011, 07:09 AM

I have one of those big boards that fits on top of your regular ironing board. Love it! When the covering that came with it got nasty I made a "sandwich" of batting, insultbrite and then topped it with that silver coated ironing board material. Turned the board upside down, clamped all the layers nice and taught and used thumb tacks to attach to the board. It's nice and smooth and the insulbrite helps reflect the heat back up through the top covering.
Old 04-28-2011, 07:15 AM

http://home-and-garden.webshots.com/...48977559zToCRD

My husband and I made these large ironing boards 24" x 60" for quilters in our area. The cost of materials is less than $30. This includes two layers of Warm & Natural batting and 1 7/8 yards of Drill (heavier woven) from Jo-Ann's (use 50% coupons). I don't recommend the silver ironing board cover as it stays hot too long.

24" wide board - cut Drill 66" x 30"
Warm and Natural batting - cut 64" x 28"

Keep the Drill that you cut off the width. Cut in sections and use on top of your board in the area which gets the most use. It is extra protection against scorching if you press seams while piecing in one particular area of the board.

Press the Drill fabric giving attention to the fold. Do not spray with water. Don't ever wash Drill. It shrinks and the wrinkles won't iron out.

Use an electric staple gun with 3/8" staples. (Take the old staples out with a screwdriver.)

After stapling the batting, staple a long side of the Drill with the selvage edge first starting in the middle. Pull the fabric taut lengthwise as you staple toward the ends. Next staple the opposite side folding under the edge so it covers the padding. (It may need to be trimmed.) Be sure to pull it taut across the width and length when stapling.

Staple the short ends keeping the fabric taut while stapling. Trim the corners, fold under, and make three folds on each side of the right angle. Staple.
Old 04-28-2011, 07:21 AM

Originally Posted by janeknapp
http://home-and-garden.webshots.com/...48977559zToCRD

My husband and I made these large ironing boards 24" x 60" for quilters in our area. The cost of materials is less than $30. This includes two layers of Warm & Natural batting and 1 7/8 yards of Drill (heavier woven) from Jo-Ann's (use 50% coupons). I don't recommend the silver ironing board cover as it stays hot too long.

24" wide board - cut Drill 66" x 30"
Warm and Natural batting - cut 64" x 28"

Keep the Drill that you cut off the width. Cut in sections and use on top of your board in the area which gets the most use. It is extra protection against scorching if you press seams while piecing in one particular area of the board.

Press the Drill fabric giving attention to the fold. Do not spray with water. Don't ever wash Drill. It shrinks and the wrinkles won't iron out.

Use an electric staple gun with 3/8" staples. (Take the old staples out with a screwdriver.)

After stapling the batting, staple a long side of the Drill with the selvage edge first starting in the middle. Pull the fabric taut lengthwise as you staple toward the ends. Next staple the opposite side folding under the edge so it covers the padding. (It may need to be trimmed.) Be sure to pull it taut across the width and length when stapling.

Staple the short ends keeping the fabric taut while stapling. Trim the corners, fold under, and make three folds on each side of the right angle. Staple.
Most excellent instructions....Excellent
Old 04-28-2011, 07:42 AM

My friend and I bought a 4' x 8' sheet of particle board, had Home Depot cut 2 squares out 36" by 43". Covered with 1 layer cotton batting and duck cloth from Joann's and it sits on top of 1/2 of my cutting table. Is big enough to press fabric and light enough to move if I need the whole table. The duck cloth is 60" wide so no seams. The whole gives a nice firm surface for pressing - love it!! Marlene
Old 04-28-2011, 07:49 AM

Originally Posted by Deborahlees
I made my ironing board for my sewing studio out of a used, no longer wanted kitchen utility cabinet. you know the kind that sits in the middle of the room for you to chop on. well the top has two fold up sides that give me a nice square table to iron on, and when not needed fold down, and the bonus is I have a drawer and 3 wire baskets to put 'stuff' in like a pressing cloth, a pair of scissors and I hang my start bottles on the wire baskets. on the wood top, I put a piece of heavy aluminum foil and then a piece of the ironing board cover with padding attached that I purchased from my local Joanns. cut to size and hemed. I love my little table that is also on wheels and moves around the room as needed. But the cover is from Joanns, sold by the yard....so you can get whatever size you need and has the padding already quilted on.
Love your idea. Is the top attaced permanently? How does it to stay tight when the sides are up and be large enough to put the sides down with the cover on? This is the best idea yet.
Old 04-28-2011, 07:57 AM

would you believe I used larg binder clips to keep it on nice and tight. After I have it like I want it I take the 'wings' of the clip off, and save in a safe place....
I love the baskets underneath, have all my precut stabilizer and hang my non-aersole spray starch bottles on the front, along with a water bottle of course..next cover I think I will use drill...
Old 04-28-2011, 08:46 AM

I have always used muslin that I starch really well...the starch helps fabric to slide better...and the cat hair wipes right off!
Old 04-28-2011, 10:05 AM

Thank you for your posts on this. I'm not happy with what I have and looking at your posts for what you've found works for you.
Old 04-28-2011, 01:20 PM

I have a 24 x 36 shelf w/2 shelves. DH made a wooden cover for the top of the shelf. Then I bought a cover (included "special foam) and the silver fabric from a co. named Bo-Nash. The siver fabric is sticky backed. It also came w/a "boot" for my iron. With both on you can't scorch anything. I really like it. I'd love a larger ironing board area but my sewing area (in a loft) is very limited so that is all I have room for. Hope this is helpful.
Old 04-28-2011, 03:23 PM

I hate the coated iron board covers, and most of them now you cannotwash. I made my own out of all cotton, and when scorchy or full of starch, off to the laundry they go.:)