Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
quilt retreat planning >

quilt retreat planning

quilt retreat planning

Old 05-10-2011, 04:47 PM

Would love to come, but a six hour drive might be a little much. I'll have to hope for something a little closer.
Have fun!
Old 05-10-2011, 05:13 PM

Originally Posted by TheresaP.
Our quilt shop does these sleep-at-home retreats. They are great because you arrive, set up your machine, spread out your "stuff" on your 6' or 8' table, and it's totally "ME" time. They provide extension cords, ironing stations, cutting stations, cushions for your chair, a drink and a snack each day. At least a couple of ladies bring baked goods for everyone. They help you carry in all of your stuff. They get coupons from the nearby restaurants for those who want to take time off to leave and eat. The retreats run Thurs and Fri 9 to 9 and Sat 9 until 4. On Sat they provide pizza and salad. Also, since Wednesday is open sew day anyway, you can arrive on Weds, set up for the rest of the week and be there 4 days. All this for $40 and it's well worth it. No phones, no hubbies, no kids, no pets, just me and my beloved machine, and project(s). It's so great to drive home, come the next day and continue where I left off.

The unfortunate part about these sleep-at-home retreats is that anyone who lives too far away doesn't want to drive home after dark each day so they have to either get a room somewhere or just not come.

The other things, like block exchange, joint projects, etc are for when we go to the away 3-day retreats. At these, our meals are cooked for us 3 times a day, which is way too much food. Everyone brings a snack, it's put on an 8' table and we eat some more. The only thing we have to do at these is make our bed when we get there and take the sheets off when we leave. Isn't life great???
Do you know when they are planning another? Frankenmouth isn't that far from me and I am looking for somewhere to go this summer.
Old 05-10-2011, 05:32 PM

Originally Posted by QuiltMania
Originally Posted by TheresaP.
Our quilt shop does these sleep-at-home retreats. They are great because you arrive, set up your machine, spread out your "stuff" on your 6' or 8' table, and it's totally "ME" time. They provide extension cords, ironing stations, cutting stations, cushions for your chair, a drink and a snack each day. At least a couple of ladies bring baked goods for everyone. They help you carry in all of your stuff. They get coupons from the nearby restaurants for those who want to take time off to leave and eat. The retreats run Thurs and Fri 9 to 9 and Sat 9 until 4. On Sat they provide pizza and salad. Also, since Wednesday is open sew day anyway, you can arrive on Weds, set up for the rest of the week and be there 4 days. All this for $40 and it's well worth it. No phones, no hubbies, no kids, no pets, just me and my beloved machine, and project(s). It's so great to drive home, come the next day and continue where I left off.

The unfortunate part about these sleep-at-home retreats is that anyone who lives too far away doesn't want to drive home after dark each day so they have to either get a room somewhere or just not come.

The other things, like block exchange, joint projects, etc are for when we go to the away 3-day retreats. At these, our meals are cooked for us 3 times a day, which is way too much food. Everyone brings a snack, it's put on an 8' table and we eat some more. The only thing we have to do at these is make our bed when we get there and take the sheets off when we leave. Isn't life great???
Do you know when they are planning another? Frankenmouth isn't that far from me and I am looking for somewhere to go this summer.
Although we do have a wonderful quilt shop in Frankenmuth, the dealie I'm talking about happens at Quilted Cottage in Saginaw. They schedule sleep-at-home retreats every month. As for the 3-day away retreats, they are put together by Quilted Cottage and held at The Springs in Gladwin. The food is really good and entirely too plentiful. The group of ladies who go are fun to be around. As a matter of fact, the next one is this weekend. I am packed and ready to go.
Old 05-10-2011, 08:44 PM

Ask the LQS to help set up a project, or maybe a mystery quilt might be fun, but before you do that, ask the ladies that are going to attend what they would like to do, maybe if they want a group project or work on their own, as for food, check with a caterer for evening meals, and the local deli or fast food place for breakfast or lunch to see what they have to offer
Old 05-11-2011, 11:07 AM

We are fortunate enough to be able to use a church camp facility for a yearly retreat which is not expensive and we can sleep there in dorms which is fun. The "quilting" room is separate and some stay up late to sew. Fri people straggle in from noon on and supper is up to each individual. Sat all 3 meals are furnished for $20.00 and they are really wonderful for the price. Sunday we have breakfast casseroles the organizers make. Great food, fun, sharing, learning and fellowship for $75 for the weekend. A real bargain I think. It is organized for our guild, but if room is available after a certain date, we open up to others who may want to come.
Old 05-13-2011, 03:34 PM

Originally Posted by suebee
Hmmm, the $500.00 seems pretty high to me, especially considering there wouldnt be any food or lodging. So what exactly is the 500.00 for? just curious. I went to a retreat a couple of weeks ago and it was $180.00 that included lodging and all he food for 3 days. Good luck, will be interesting to see how it turns out.
I am glad that some one else has questioned the $500 as I thought it terribly expensive per person when nothing but the room was provided. The dearest retreat I have seen advertised in my state was $270 pp and that included meals and accommodation for the 3 day weekend.

Have found the suggestions handy though as our quilt club is considering holding a retreat in the future. Good luck with yours, look forward to hearing all about the event after wards.

Maybe1day
Old 05-17-2011, 05:51 PM
Banned

For the big retreat I really want, the building is not available until mid October! I am still going to go with that and am working out all of the details now.

HOWEVER, I need a retreat SOONER than Oct...so I have a mini one planned for August...I call it mini because it will not include meals or rooms. If you want a room I have 6 blocked so far at a nice discounted rate. Here are the details thus far.

This would be from Friday morning to Sunday evening.
Three days, two nights(or three if you want) at a very nice hotel here that is located in a "PRIME" location..Applebees, Chili's, and El Chico all sit in front of the hotel. The hotel has a very nice pool/hot tub/work out area, media center, full service breakfast(not continental), across from our mall, Kmart, and more fast food.
THe rooms are King(single) and queen(double). The price is the same for either room. The room are really nice, and are getting new furniture/bedding this summer. They all have a nice sized mini fridge and a micro!

NOW, here is where you all come in again...
#1!-would you come to sit and sew in a hotel meeting room with all of these amenities?
#2- would you want a planned program or just do your own thing?
#3- would you come to a "mystery quilt" weekend class?

Thus far I am considering the Mystery quilt, but also considering a do you own thing with a block lotto that would actually be a KIT you got when you arrive that would make two blocks. One would be for a QOV quilt and one would go into the lotto drawing!Either way I am thinking the block lotto will stay!

The cost for a "do your own thing" would be $35 per person, the cost for the Mystery class would be $50! I need a vote on which you would do, IF you would come to Enid to do one!

Light snacks, water, iced tea and the block lotto kit will be included in the cost whether you are a stay over or a drop in.

Space is limited at the hotel, maybe 15 tops! At the October one I can 50 easy!

I look forward to hearing from you all on this!
Old 05-17-2011, 06:06 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Maybe1day
Originally Posted by suebee
Hmmm, the $500.00 seems pretty high to me, especially considering there wouldnt be any food or lodging. So what exactly is the 500.00 for? just curious. I went to a retreat a couple of weeks ago and it was $180.00 that included lodging and all he food for 3 days. Good luck, will be interesting to see how it turns out.
I am glad that some one else has questioned the $500 as I thought it terribly expensive per person when nothing but the room was provided. The dearest retreat I have seen advertised in my state was $270 pp and that included meals and accommodation for the 3 day weekend.

Have found the suggestions handy though as our quilt club is considering holding a retreat in the future. Good luck with yours, look forward to hearing all about the event after wards.

Maybe1day
i guess you did not see the post where the $500 was MY cost of getting the room, NOT the cost of the retreat per person!
Old 05-17-2011, 07:46 PM

You might try Jelly Roll Races, trunk shows, scrap quilt block techniques, fabric trades/giveaways, a free table where everyone brings patterns, magazines and fabric they don't plan to use, charity quilt made by everyone, fast piecing techniques. I do think that a potluck would be great. Too much time is wasted if everyone has to go out for meals. Maybe just have pizza, sandwiches or chicken dinners brought in. We have one not far from where I live but have not attended the last two years as they don't offer much for classes and the rest is lectures and trunk shows which are rather costly on top of the meals, lodging, etc. Last year my daughter and I just planned a quilting weekend of our own and were amazed at how much we got done.
Old 06-14-2011, 09:32 AM

Originally Posted by jaciqltznok
HOWEVER, I need a retreat SOONER than Oct...so I have a mini one planned for August

This would be from Friday morning to Sunday evening. THe rooms are King(single) and queen(double).

#1!-would you come to sit and sew in a hotel meeting room with all of these amenities?
#2- would you want a planned program or just do your own thing?
#3- would you come to a "mystery quilt" weekend class?

Thus far I am considering the Mystery quilt, .... I am thinking the block lotto will stay!

The cost for a "do your own thing" would be $35 per person, the cost for the Mystery class would be $50!
#1, yes
#2, I like the do your own thing $35.
#3, mystery, no

I like the two block lotto, if that kit isn't $15. Shared king or queen. (A king is so big, you wave g-nite - :mrgreen: ) Fri am to Sun, in August. I take it you haven't set dates, yet. (PS-I'm female, share with female.)