Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures
sew cornie's blocks made for Boom 5.0 EAST swap >

sew cornie's blocks made for Boom 5.0 EAST swap

sew cornie's blocks made for Boom 5.0 EAST swap

Old 08-11-2011, 07:15 PM

sew cornie i see we have a copy of the same quilt block magazine. your work is great and the blocks look really nice.

and yes cutting miscalculations do challenge us to come us with some original works but sometimes the blocks are more interesting that way.
Old 08-11-2011, 08:36 PM

Originally Posted by Havplenty
sew cornie i see we have a copy of the same quilt block magazine. your work is great and the blocks look really nice.

and yes cutting miscalculations do challenge us to come us with some original works but sometimes the blocks are more interesting that way.
This is the first time I've bought this magazine but I wish I'd come across previous issues before. I enjoy using swaps like this to be able to try out new blocks. Good way to find out what blocks I'd like to use for future projects . . . and which ones I don't.
Old 08-11-2011, 09:29 PM

agreed. it was on the counter of my LQS and i purchased it because i was in this swap. i like it also. it has some interesting blocks in it.
Old 08-12-2011, 06:48 AM

Jen, I know you told me the name of the magazine once, but what was it again? (And I told myself I WOULDN'T forget it :roll: !)
Old 08-12-2011, 08:33 PM

the name of the magazine is Quiltmaker's 100 Blocks. if you cannot find in a store try their website www.quiltmaker.com.
Old 08-12-2011, 08:43 PM

Hi Laurie,

The magazine we're referring to is "Quiltmaker's 100 BLOCKS from today's top designers - collector's edition - vol. 3". I found it at Joann's and it says on the front lower left corner "Summer 2011-Volume 3" and "display until 7/25/11". I don't know if it's still available or not.

I've also used quite a few patterns from "Ladies' Art Company Block Tool" by Connie Chunn and "Quilter's Mix and Match Blocks, A Comprehensive Handbook" published by Leisure Arts. I'm only using a couple of Quilter's Cache patterns for this swap.

This will be my last swap for a while. I have blocks from half a dozen or so swaps I've participated in over the past two years. Time to finally put some tops together. I bet I can get 8 or 9 tops out of them. I think I'll start with these Boom blocks first and I'm excited to get underway. I wasn't in love with my fabric I sent out, but my partners have sent such great creations home to me that I really do like it now! :-D

I recently picked up the book "Setting Solutions" by Sharyn Craig and I think it's my new favorite! I found it used at Powell's Books (have you been there?) and didn't want to pay the price they were asking, but couldn't find it any better online. So I caved and bought it. It is chock full of ideas for how to put together swap blocks when there may be size and color variations, an odd number of blocks, and other challenges to work with. She gives examples of all sorts of settings that are outside of the box - far beyond the basic grid layout of so many sampler quilts. I can't wait to get started on putting all of my swap blocks into tops and trying a different setting for each one. This book is very inspiring! I'll bring it to our next get-together if you want to browse through. (Didn't mean to write a whole book of my own here just to answer your one-line question. LOL.)

Originally Posted by quiltingnonie
Jen, I know you told me the name of the magazine once, but what was it again? (And I told myself I WOULDN'T forget it :roll: !)
Old 08-12-2011, 08:45 PM

Beautiful blocks?
Old 08-12-2011, 09:10 PM

I love your blocks. You do such nice work and I am sure the recipients are delighted when they receive tham.

Sorry I won't see you at the next beach retreat.
Old 08-12-2011, 09:13 PM

Originally Posted by Lilrain
I love your blocks. You do such nice work and I am sure the recipients are delighted when they receive tham.

Sorry I won't see you at the next beach retreat.
I hope you have a great time there!

:-D
Old 08-12-2011, 09:14 PM

Really nice.